1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm rather upset with Dream of Doll... (doll problems)

Sep 29, 2006

1. Okay, so, I've had my boy, a DoD Si for a little over a year. When I first got him I had a rather upsetting situation with the faceup. http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15766 At the time a lot of people 'jumped' on me for complaining about a company that had nothing but good feedback. (Outside the board, for the most part.) Well, I'm here to bring up another issuse.

Has anyone else thought that perhaps DOD resin is weaker than normal? I have have my Volks dolls for a while! and they're beautifully perfect. And well..
      My Si is not doing so well. His thumb cracked off a while ago, and that really, really upset me. I couldn't touch him for weeks, and well, I couldn't figure out HOW it was so easy to snap off his finger! I had broke his 'optional hand' before on accident, and didn't seem to figure why... but this now is worse.

I unstrung him carefully to do a little touchup jobage, and what I see upsets me. On his feet, the stringing is wearing a large hole in the hook. Now, his stringing isn't tight, trust me! And his ankles are chipping. They never really.. sat together right, but I ignore that. I'm just... unbelievably suprised that he is chipping, like the resin is weak!
      And on top of that, today I was carefully sanding his foot (if you look at a DoD boy.. he has like... bunions? His feet buldge funny, and it's just inthe mold. It's simple to sand away, so I did. I didn't really like his feet so desparately much.

So I grabbed my exacto knife to carefully, and I say it! Carrefully peel away a little bit of resin from between his big toe...
      And it SNAPPED OFF.
      The whole toe. Now, I don't know. I did it to the other foot too, but only one broke. I've done it on all three of my dolls in the same way, but it broke off!
      I've emailed DOD... rather upset. I asked to see if I could get a new foot (or pair) because it broke.
      I don't understand.. is DoD resin weaker than say, Volks? I was so careful! And it snapped off! The other foot was already done, too!

And I don't play with my boy more, if anything, I play with him less... sad to say... I don't like the DoD body at all. I wonder if MNF would be a better choice...

Mod note: Dream of Children discussion is here:

http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210048

2. I don't have any others to compare my Ichii to, but I think Volks resin is just heavier and so it's probably a little more break proof. Dream of Doll resin is actually fairly dense compared to some others, like, say CustomHouse.
      They might be able to sell you a second pair of feet, or maybe even send you one, but I don't know.

3. Not the 1st time I've heard about DOD resin being weak. Their dolls are gorgeous, but I'm leery now, due to the many stories of the same problem.

4. Really? I've done all sort of crazy things.
      Dropping them, knocking them off (all in a photoshoot T^T I feel so bad, even now)
      When My Ui dropped face down on concrete;; I expected his nose to chip...
      But it was fine. Which was really weird.
      They've never had problems, in fact, they are sturdier than my friend's delfs.
      Maybe yours is just a mistake? I'm really surprised about this.

5. Well I don't know about that. My roommate has a F-06 and I have a DoD U and my boy is certainly quite a bit heavier than her girl is. We were quite surprised ourselves!

I think most of the stories about weaker resin has come from the newer batches. I've had my boy a year and a bit now and there is no cracking or peeling or anything else of the sort. He's as solid as could be. I would say that any cracking in the "older models" is an isolated incident. Not to say that it's not happening, Emberly. If I were you, I would probably invest in a new body, or a MiniFee body to replace it with. Since it is now far too late to get DoD to do anything about it. Though if you just wanted to replace the hands/feet, some companies ARE really nice and will just send you some (often if you pay for shipping).

6. I agree with the weight. My Si is very heavy and stiff in comparsion to my MSD.
      It's really depression. Last year I paid around five-hundred dollars for this dolls (with wig and shipping and faceup.)
      His faceup wore off.
      His eyelashes came off and chipped his eyes.

I contacted DOD and they said pretty much "tough, you can not prove chemicals were not used in removing your faceup."

So now, just a little over a year later:

His body is chipping in the joints.
      His finger broke off.
      AND his BIG TOE chipped off.

So take out the $35 from the faceup.
      $230 for the boy body.

His wig fried. I brushed it out carefully and it ended up mauled and matted, which it didn't even fit THEIR OWN DOLL anyway.

$30 for the wig.

Out of that $500, I have shipping (rightly so.) and a faceupless head. Value: $120 (and shipping. Say, maybe, $40) $160
      Paid: $215. With shipping.

So basically I'm just out of that money, and if I'm lucky I'll have the 'right' to buy a new pair of feet. If they let me at all. And $20 for a pair of hands.

Anyone else see where I'm coming from? :/ This is really disappointing. I can't afford a MNF body. I can't randomly upgrade him. I don't think I could sell his body for a comparable amount of money. He's been swarricoed and modded to death. I wouldn't doubt it if no one wanted his body. It's really depressing. I have a big boy who needs a body even more than he does, as that boy has -none-. So, what? I can replace him when he has stubs for hands, his ankle hooks snap, and he only has three toes left? I don't play hard with my dolls. I do everything a 'good mommy' should. And yet I feel so bad that my boy is out of commission, and I'm out of money!

7. Wow, that's really scary and unfortunate! I've had my T.Too and T.Bee-a for about a year now and I've been pretty rough on them sometimes, but haven't had any problems. I've restrung them and... dropped them and knocked them into things (ah, that makes me sound awful).

8. I am sorry to hear about your si. ;__; However, I've had Pipo(bee-a) for a little bit over a year and I've droped her head twice in a day. T__T I heard a crak but when I looked at her head everything was ok. It was weird but i was glad it didn't break. DoT's are really heavy IMO. O__O I was shock when I got Yuuku(Camine). Anywho, I haven't had any issuse with DoD yet and I am hopeing I wont run into any issuse with any company at all. Good Luck to you. ^___^

9. I've had my Zen for a little over a year now and I've dropped him on his face quite a lot of times, and the only damage was his nose getting a little squished. His left hand did lose the last two fingers when it was dropped though but overall he's still in really good shape. His faceup didn't rub off at all except for a little bit of scuffing on an eyebrow and it was insane to take off.

I don't have another MSD-sized doll to compare it too, but DoD resin seems slightly heavier than others, almost as dense as LatiDoll resin. It's also slightly more pliable and softer, and feels less like plastic than Volks'.

10. Sorry to hear about your DOD tragedy...I had three of them and had such a hard time playing with them that I had to get rid of them for fear of breaking them.....the resin feels very light and fragile in my opinion. I never had an issure with Luts or Volks....

11. I've had my Twing Key for over a year now and her faceup is still perfect and I can't coun how mant times she fallen off things onto the floor and shes never chipped or anything, shes taken a good beating from my friends cat as well and shes still perfect. I've never had a problem with her. ONly thing I had to change one her was her eyelashes the ones she came with fell out.

12. O_O That sounds awful... I mean, I haven't had any problem with my U except for his lip paint suddenly disappearing and I've had him for more than a year and a half already but I also had some problems with my MNF (I emailed twice and Luts still hasn't answered... TT-TT I guess Eiri's hand would have to remain chipped until I get him new ones...) so I can kind-of understand.

Hopefully this all will be sorted out soon. Good luck! :)

13. i think i know what you mean. Ive had kaipo for two years now and hes the toughest little fella ever. My friend however has had a Hoo for awhile now (even less time!) and his finger broke. I wonder if maybe there are certain batches that are weak or maybe the resin has become weaker more recently?

14. i've got a hoo from around easterish and he hasnt broken anything, nor really chipped but i always play carefully. though his fingertips look a bit chipped. like he's been tapping on his fingertips the whole time

15. I've had my Wi for well over a year now, and I've only had one problem with him. It was my own fault though ^^;; Early on, I was restringing him, but I didn't have a good grip on the elastic. It managed to slip through and shot his foot across my dorm room. It hit the floor and the resin hook of his foot broke right off (although I can't blame it; it was definitely travelling at an extremely high speed). I tried repairing it myself, but to no avail. Finally, I e-mailed DoD about it. They were *very* nice about it, and sent me two new feet for free. So, I suggest just trying to get in contact with them and explaining the problems you're having with their doll. It might take them some time to get back, but I'm pretty sure they will.

But beyond that incident, I have no complaints about my Wi. His faceup is still in tact, and his resin isn't causing me any problems. But good luck with your doll, and I hope you get things sorted out!

16. gosh, i'm sorry to hear this all has happened. I think the resin has gotten a bit weaker (making me leery of the new Homme Ivan and Krill) you aren't the only one with these problems, I think someone had a DOT Duncan and the resin was very thin. I'm sorry I can not help much (or at all) DOD is better at responding to E-mails than luts is so my guess would be to e-mail them....

17. So far I haven't had too many problems with my T. Zen though I've only had him for about a month. However, I have noticed a few chips on his resin, none of which are noticable unless you closely inspect each joint. I really hope everything works out for you.

18. I seem to have gotten really lucky with my 3 DoCs, becuse I have not had any problems with them... I abused my poor Si quite a lot to change out her hands, but she took it all without any problems. No chipping on any of them.

Possibly DoD is less picky (or can't afford to be more picky) about which batches of resin they use? I know that basically for every doll made, 2 are broken... maybe they use the slightly imperfect ones as well as the perfect ones.

19. About the face-up, well i know somebody who is not happy with her DOD face-up. A friend of mine and I saw the pictures and quite disturbed that the face-up came from DOD. Well, we thought it maybe the work of a rookie since DOD have their hands full so they hire more face-up artists :P dunno, just my 2 cents.

20. One more good quality doll owner here! I can honestly say I've handled my dearest boy Too roughly, dropped him even, played with him, sanded & modified him multiple times, and he's alright. Different resin batches might cause trouble, yeah, but I find it kind of unfair to accuse DoD to be a cheap company.