1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

doll companies, do you know how big?

Dec 21, 2009

1. I don't know if there's any post like this on here, or if it's appropriate, if not Mod: please delete it, accordingly. It might even be silly of me to even ask.

I was just wondering how big the doll companies actually are. Like approximately how many people working there. I've read that they are actually quite small number of people working in smaller company, or maybe I dream that up. I'm just curious.

Think of it as educating a newbie like me. Thanks guys. :sweat

2. I think every company it varies. But none of them, maybe with the exception of Volks, is a huge buisness with 100+ employees. I think. There's usually a only one, or very few sculpters, one or so face-up artists, and then maybe some representatives for various countries. Over-all the individual companies are small, with quite possibly no more then 10-20 people working on it, and that's being generous from what I hear.
      Of course larger companies like DoD, Luts, Volks, and the such likely have a larger staff to accomodate the higher demand.
      This is all just a guesstimation however. I'm sure someone else can provide you with more concrete information.

3. Most of the companies are very small, not even what we'd think of being companies at all. Several are simply individual artists working from home. Others are just a small group of artists. There are some bigger companies but for the most part, even those are pretty small. Companies like Luts & Volks are some of the bigger ones & I believe some of the newer Chinese companies may employ more people in a more traditional factory setting.

4. I read somewhere that Secretdoll is just one woman.

5. What about Fairyland? Any idea how big they are?

6. I heard that Asleep Eidolon is a group of artist I think 3 (possibly 2) and that was the reason the heads had varying sizes.

7. Narindoll is one person. Elfdoll is 4 or 5 people, I think. Some fairly small companies out there.

8. Bobobie got 10 people working there :)

9. That was fascinating, thanks for the link!

Somehow I wasn't expecting such an ordinary-looking office. :sweat

10. I'd heard (rumor) that DoD was three people when they started taking off in popularity, and it certainly wasn't anyone's "day job." That was probably four years ago; I don't know if it was true then or if it is true now.

fwiw

Ann in CT

11. Quite a few small studios have another business do their actual doll casting for them so their company stays very small. Maybe just the sculptor/artist doing all of the work (sculpting, on line communication, doll finishing, painting, shipping) with the casting company as a separate entity. Ocean Moon, Migidoll and MsDoll, Shinydoll, K-Doll, Pixydoll and others operate this way. Most of these artists also have regular day jobs.

Alice in Labyrinth is three people, Dollstown is two people (both are sculptors) and Dollshe does their casting. Musedoll is two sisters.

Larger companies would be like Soom or Luts. Even if they each managed to have a crew of 30-50 people working they still are not very big.

According to Volks information page they employ 150 people. Just a small size toy company really.

12. This is interesting to see. No wonder waiting times for dolls are so 'long'.
      Can be fun to work there.

13. How big is Dollmore, what's about it?..

14. OMG, how cute! :D

"It is clean now but it will be battlefield about 3~4 o'clock."

Urgh... Korean people do not exaggerate when they say this. Must be really crazy... :sweat

15. Very interesting info! Thank you.

16. In the new Hautedoll Magazine I read an article about Soom that states they employ 40 people. I'd say Dollmore has to be smaller than that.

17. I heard that DragonDoll is 3. Dream Realm - 2.