1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin color issue my Iplehouse Tanned Soo Ri looks odd

Jul 16, 2008

1. I'm not sure if this goes here but if it does not I will certainly understand if you move it to its proper place.

But I am having a bit of an issue. You see I have two Tanned Soo Ri's type 2 one is the normal and the other is the gentle and its the gentle that I am finding to look a bit odd.

By odd I mean he looks ... well "green" and has since the day I unwrapped him I honestly just thought it was all in my head and that it would just go away, but the more I look at him and take photos of him the more I see it.

I didn't report it to Iplehouse back when they sent him to me because of a few reasons all of which now I am feeling a bit stupid for, and before anyone asks, my tan people are kept in a dark room under a blanket all day long and do not come out until dang near dark * sigh * they are so beautiful and live such a sad life, but I love them and I want to keep them beautiful.

So um yes back to what my issue is. Oh I almost forgot to mention these two boys, when I placed my order I also asked for them to be of light skin tan and one is and the other is not... it is the light one that is "green " does anyone else have a " light skin " tan Iplehouse tan that they feel is of this "green " color or is it just me.

Thank you for your help.

2. How quickly were they shipped? Sometimes if they have the dolls already done up, they might have them on a shelf for display or in their box, but open-faced while they're sitting in stock. If they shipped them pretty quick that might mean your boy was sitting in the ready stock before he got to you, which might've been when he was exposed to some light/sun.

3. I placed my order the week they opened it up for the Christmas special and I didn't get them until well after Valentine's Day :(

4. I would just write to IpleHouse. They have one of the best customer services, from what I've experienced and also from what I've heard others say. I don't think they can replace him for you, but they might tell you some known issues and how they've handled it.

5. I didn't know there was an option to make a request for "light skin tan". As far as I know, from what IP told me, all the Soori's were one shade, which also happens to be the lighter of the two tones used for Aaron (the other is super dark).

I would take pictures and ask them. Maybe someone tried to do something special for you and tweaking the recipe caused a problem. Just tell them you had other things happening in your life, and you thought it was just your eyes, but it's definitely green.

But, there's no reason to keep the tans like vampires, really. People in Florida have them and take them outside all the time, with no noticeable problems, and previous IP tans are all over the place, with nobody noting any green shifts. Sounds like something wrong from the beginning. Take pix!

6. I honestly wish it was that easy... I really do and as for customer service... Um no ! Iplehouse was not very good for me to work with not at all ... they kept giving me " the run around " over my boys and I could not under stand why.

And as for the color selection... yes you could pick which tone you wanted .. that being dark or light.. and I picked light, so no there is not " special mixing thing " * sigh * though I wish that was the answer.. but this young man is truly " green " and every time I look at him with his double it is strange to see one that is so warm and rich toned and one that is so... so..for lack of better words sick looking....

I am hoping however that some one else has noticed this on their guy... I seriously hope that I am not the only one that has the lighter toned Soo Ri .....

7. It would really help if you'd post pictures of your two tan boys next to each other in this thread. There are a few members who own multiple tan iplehouse boys and I'm sure they could give you more insight if they had an image to work from.

8. There wasn't a color choice option on the tanned Soo Ri version 2. They did it that way so extra heads would match the bodies they sell separately, which are only one color.

If it helps, my tan Soo Ri v2's body and gentle head turned out a different color than the normal head. I've described it as "ashy," as if he has a gray undertone. Here's my post with the regular head on the body, you can see the resin color difference.

[​IMG]

9. Ok per request I took some photos to show what I am talking about. I do hope this helps make things a little more understandable for you all.

Here are my boys standing side by side in boxers so that you can clearly see that they are not the same color and also you can see that it is an all over color difference not just a hand and face thing like from light exposure or any thing like that.

[​IMG]

And this next one is with flash so you can see that they are still different colors, just Orion isn't so "green"

[​IMG]

*crossing fingers * I hope some one has answers....

10. I'm so sorry you're having problems with your beautiful boy.

11. Wow, BOTH your boys are much lighter than the regular Tan Soori v.2 that was offered last December. I ordered mine (and a spare tan body) the day it opened, and the only option in the "skin/body/type choice" box was for Light Muscle Body and Light "Modle" body. They weren't offering the almost black dark Aaron color at all, nor a lighter color than what they called a light tan, which is still pretty dark (see below).

I don't see any green at all. What I do see is that the lighter boy has a much "drier" skin tone, maybe a rose/grey undertone, while there is more yellow base under the darker boy's skintone and a more obvious tan color. Actually, the lighter one is very close, if not identical to the Elfdoll homme color they use on their boys (which also looks duskier compared to their OLDER homme color, which had more yellow in it).

Even in the natural shot, I don't see any green, but he does look like he's reflecting light in a much cooler, greyer part of the spectrum and looks like a richly colored flesh tone, which is actually VERY attractive! I am sorry not to see what you said, but in the pictures, he looks lovely, and would be unique in the Soori ranks!

In comparison (peenie alert - I took these for full comparisons of the two types of bodies), these are the boys I got and were split with aernath in Florida. Their heads were a bit darker than the bodies, but it worked out well once MSC was sprayed on them.

[​IMG]

12. See I wasn't just crying wolf to make people wonder about my mental state or anything, and don't get me wrong I love these boys I really do, but they really did surprise me when I got them .

And this whole color thing was like come on.. some one else has got to have this issue ...and honestly if I take them outside the lighter one is going to have that "green " tone to his skin, which the other member here has called "ash " and yes to be honest that is really what it looks like.

I have no plans on these guys going anywhere by the way I love them too much but the color thing really had me concerned... I just couldn't understand what was going on , and I talked to someone who told me they were just "off-gassing " and that it was going to stop and they would become a warmer tone when it did... well this has not happened and my worries just kept growing.... that is why I posted..

13. They definitely are a different color. But I honestly wouldn't call that green. It just looks like it's a lighter tan. To be honest I think I like its tone better than the other one. But maybe the green doesn't come out in pictures? Because it looks lovely to me.

14. Dolls with that, as it was called, "ashy" undertone do tend to have shadows in cooler colors. And shadowy filtered light like that in your first pic is starting out with cooler blue/green/grey shades.

I've never heard of "off-gasing". I do know that even resin in a box does, for want of a better term, oxidize on the surface. I had an AOD body that went from a bright bright pink to a softer flesh tone.

Your boys together reminded me so much of comparisons I saw when the Elfdoll K came out, and people were putting them next to their older Reds or Wu, and marveling that either the newer color was dusky-rose or the older dolls had yellowed.

They really are gorgeous boys. Your darker one actually looks like the color used for the Cocori Swan Lake, which is more golden than the usual color.

15. I have found it very difficult to show subtle color differences in pictures.
      Hobby has my normal skin Soo Ri (Ichigo - my original bought back in '06), and he's been to heck and beyond in sunlight and lamps and whatnot... and I've been saying for months that his hands are green. But no one believed me because it refuses to show in pictures.
      Now that she's got him in her hands and seen him in natural light, she's mentioned that he might be a bit greening there. His face, coated in UV cut MSC, is still fairly white. Certainly whiter than his body which hasn't been coated, but his torso that I blushed.

Um, my point there: believe your eyes. The camera lies.

But, sometimes the coloring can be more pronounced in different lighting. Look at him in dawn light instead of dusk light. I've found my Tan Soo Ri v.2 (TangetsuGo - the one on the left in hobby's picture (omg!)) definitely has an olive drab green hue to him in afternoon light in my doll room. He's perfectly fine in the morning. (Or the other way around, I forget which - it's been awhile since I was taking note :sweat) And during the daytime outside, he looks perfectly fine.

These tan boys are like Ayers Rock - changing color depending on the lighting situation.

Tomorrow night I'll have another Tan Soo Ri (finally a Gentle!!! WHOOOP!) to compare and contrast with my other boys, and we'll see if he exhibits the same color changing properties. :)

For grins: an old picture of my current two tans: Soo Ri v.2 on the left (the same one in Hobby's pic), Lion on the right
      [​IMG]

I think making tan resin dolls is such a complicated process to begin with, just getting one complete doll with an even color, I've heard only one in ten can be "sold"...
      Each batch has its own unique quirks. My Lion doesn't look green, but his skin is more textured/pebbly.

But I hear ya on the green hue. My TangetsuGo DOES exhibit greenness in certain lighting. And JennyNemesis (also here on DoA, who has a few tan boys as well) has mentioned one of her Iple tan boys looking a bit greenish as well.

SO!
      In conclusion to this long book... :sweat
      You are not alone. :) The tans can look green in person, and not show at all for the camera.
      *hug*

*cough* :| Though I snapped my fingers in despair at missing a suspected opportunity to buy yet another Soo Ri for my swelling hoarde... ;) I'm happy to hear you love your boys and don't plan on parting with them. :dance
      I love Iple's boys, and am a total sucker for the Soo Ri in all his incarnations, so rejoice whenever others feel the same way.

16. Yes indeed. My three tans are all different colors, but I bought them all in different years:

[​IMG]

L to R: Tan Soo Ri v1 ('06), which is medium red-toned brown. Tan Gentle Soo Ri v2 ('08), which is an olive-brown similar to yours. Tan Lion ('07), which is a deeper browny-brown with no green undertones.

This year's Soo Ri tans are definitely more olive-toned than other years! They changed the resin formulation, with more French resin in it, so it's got that waxy/ashy sheen... and it looks like they REALLY changed their color formula. When I put Soo Ri v2 (Samir, the one in the middle) next to the other boys, he looks positively green. When he's seen by himself, he looks OK.

But if both of your boys are from the same LE run, maybe they just came from different BATCHES of resin. I'd guess that no two batches are ever truly identical. Some people did report-- just in this year's LE run-- that their Soo Ri's head + body were different shades from each other, so perhaps they got the head from one batch & the body from another. You might've just gotten two dolls from different batches.

(My $.02: I personally think they got the color & formula right last year, with Tan Lion & both of the Aarons. None of those three are greenish or 'ashy' at all, and they still haven't faded!)

There is also the "trick of the light" phenomenon: These colors change depending on light source, light type, time of day, what colors he's wearing, what colors he's sitting next to, etc. etc. etc.

OH MY EFFING GAWD!!! YOU FINALLY FOUND ONE!!!! [​IMG] YES YES YES!!
      I knew the Shopping Fairy would come pinch your tenacious buttocks sooner or later.

17. Well, got my new tan Gentle Soo Ri in last night, and standing here at work on my desk today, he definitely was giving off that olive drab green at certain angles.
      Most of the day he was just a warm luscious brown, but every once in a while, I caught him looking positively army green.

Yup. It's just the resin. And the lighting. Try looking at him in a different room with different lights. :)

Jenny: Yup. Caught one on a sale that I just couldn't say no to. ;)