1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Horses for larger dolls

Sep 12, 2006

1. Does anyone know if there are any other horses that fit MSD size apart from Battat? The horses they sell just seem so unrealistic and I'm not quite confident enough to start modding a horse yet. Is the MyTwinn size too big for MSDs?

2. Unless your MSDs are supposed to be kids... yes. They'll look too big. They're a better scale for 50-60cm dolls if you're going for "adult on a horse".

If your little guys are supposed to be kids, though, and you're going for "small kid riding something larger than a pony" they're great. XD

3. Oh ok. ^^ Thanks. Guess it's time to start looking into repainting.

4. Apparently it has the same body as Chiron, so maybe someone with a Chiron would be able to chime in about the size.

5. No one is talking about this here?

Just posted in the news forum:
      http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...eated-for-SD-Size-Dolls&p=6195316#post6195316

This looks incredible! And the price, while expensive, is not that bad considering you would pay that much for most SD size dolls. I would sand off the tail and mane and use real horsehair instead. The customizing potential for this beast is incredible. Good job folks! Sadly I have no extra monies at this time, but I will definitely start a savings fund for this guy.

6. I'm glad to have found this thread to discuss the horse I am offering!
      I really believe it's a good thing to have many choices in price and quality. The horses that Pam SD customize are wonderful, she takes a toy plastic horse and makes it into a work of art that appears realistic and works for most of the larger BJDs. I so admire her work. Not only does she customize the horses she makes fabulous tack for them as well.
      My horse is another choice, it's more expensive but it's made from resin. In small batches. I suppose very much like how our BJDs are produced. It was very expensive to have the mold made and to pay for each casting. It's alot of work! Remember, these are not made in a large factory, they are made each by hand in a resin-casting art studio. The price of resin is way more expensive than plastic. I welcome all comments and criticisms :)
      Oh, and thank you Cirquemom for the heads up!

7. Sorry, Shulamite, but I have to say I am not fond of the pose of that model horse for dolls at all. It looks like the model for it was standing with it's head turned toward the camera as their reference which looks very unnatural to me. I would think most doll collectors would want the horse in more of a walking or with the legs in a walking motion to make it look like it is moving versus standing, but maybe that is just me. I would love to see a realistic BJD horse, but have'nt seen one yet that meets my aesthetic criteria.

8. The resin horse is in a classic Arabian Halter Class position.
      If you do a little research and look at photos of Arabian Stallions you find MANY in this exact pose.
      Arabs have very long flexible necks.
      I ride one so I have seen it first hand.
      Bijou can actuall turn to look ar me with BOTH eyes whenI am on his back!
      Sheri did great research for her horse.
      He's pretty darn close to perfect.
      (I liked the 4th foot pointed back but she went for stability)

Price is right on target for something made of resin and cast in small numbers.
      Would I like to pay less?
      Of course.
      But I totally get why it's priced this way.
      He's a piece of ART more than anything.

I am hoping she sets herself to sculpt a Fresian next !
      Please Sheri?
      I can send you 20 lbs of clay to get started!

9. Thank you Luckyl for your critique. I know my horse is not perfect and I'm fairly certain other horses for BJDs will be available very soon which will be what you want. Choice is a good thing :)
      I made SLD Nahar to be what I would want for my own dolls and they haven't complained :)

10. Oh, a Friesian! What a wonderful idea. I'd like to one of those and the Arabian. So lovely!

11. Have just discovered this thread. I love Shulamite's horse^^
      Has anyone so far mentioned the armoured horse that is available from Domuya? He is limited but can be bought without the armour. The horse is called 'Nightmare' and described as a D1 Companion.
      The limited edition pre-release can be found here, though I believe there will also be a standard version in due course. He's about $603 US at current exchange rates.
      He is ball-jointed, but I wonder how good he would be at standing and posing. I think he was declared OT as a doll by the mods because he's not an anthro, obviously - but I guess it would be okay to discuss him as a BJD accessory? :)

12. Nahar looks really beautiful in the website pix, love that Arab intelligence looking back at you. So many choices on how to blush him, too. Not in the budget right now, sadly, but if I win the lottery I'm on it.
      I'd second the comment that a Friesian horse would also be terrific mount for larger BJDs, or any of the other draft horses, but of course they'd also be more expensive, like casting some of the really big muscly guys we can get now. (Sorry, zoning out here a bit, I'm having images of somebody like a Kamau or a Tedros as a horse trainer...)

13. I have a Battat horse for my dolls. Ena is a 60 cm doll, for her it's ok. Like a ponie. But for the 70 cm dolls, it is far to small.

14. I love the SIZE of the Nahar, and it is a gorgeous Arabian! I do indeed want one, and if I can paint it right, it'd be a beautiful object of art to have in my house when the dolls aren't riding it!
      I do hope future sculpts if there are going to be any, may include walking poses too. I will almost certainly be saving for Nahar!

15. I can't imagine Shulamite sculpting a whole line of horses, as the work and money involved would be incredible, but a Friesian in motion would be wonderful! Not that her Arabian isn't beautiful!

My only thought is that having a horse without a sculpted mane and tail would be nice because people could add hair in the color of their choice. I think using hair makes the horse look much more realistic. True the tail can be removed and the mane sanded off, but what a lot of work and wasted resin!

Perhaps offering the horse in two versions, one with sculpted mane and tail and one without could be an option?

16. I am also saving for the horse. I have an Anglo-Arab and he looks just like this sculpt.

17. Ooooo TOTALLY subscribing here! :D I love love love horses too, I have two of my own, and my mom has one as well, and we all love on our "little man" the pony.

Anyway. I have one of the Target "our generation" or whatever they're called horses (from my American girl phase hahah) and he's definitely way too small for my 60cm boy. I am however doing a repaint on him so he looks prettier sitting in my room, and redoing his mane and tail with real horsehair, courtesy of my loverly Thoroughbred Ferarri. I grew her mane out all winter for this purpose. XD I think this horse will make a nice pack pony for my druid/elf character. :3

Gyah, I'm SO pining for a MyTwinn horse now! The cusomizing opportunities are endless~ And I really like the flocking, you can paint over it and it still has a realistic look unlike painted plastic. And PamSD you have my undying worship! Your horse mods are freaking AWEsome. I want to see more! lol

18. I certainly will do a Friesian next and thanks Pam for the offer of clay lol. If it is to be a horse in motion it will need a base as only two feet will be on the ground. After I get some other commissions done I definitely will start on the Really Big Guy.
      I plan on customizing one SLD Nahar model as a Friesian type for BJDC 2010. He will get more of a Roman nose and I will add mohair feathers. Paint him black and a bushy mane and tale, voila, half-breed Friesian. It never hurts to try :)

19. I think you could do 3 feet onthe ground and be in good shape to forgo the base.
      like this one but more highly detailed...

[​IMG]
      [​IMG]

though in my dreams a jointed horse would be able to do this
      this would rock ! ! ! !
      had to share...I need to make this costume for Nahimana...
      [​IMG]

I better stop...I could pull fresian pics all day.

Hey Sheri do you have those measurements for me?

20. OOOOOH YESSSSS!
      Drooling over Friesian pictures and imagining horse AND doll costumes...
      Three feet on the ground will work. Gads, I wish I had the skill to do a ball-jointed horse right now. I do plan on trying a doll first and who knows, the bjd horse could happen. Certainly others will as Domuya has already done.
      I got a reply from Deb this morning that she is planning on taking the measurements tomorrow as she is sick today. I will forward them to you as soon as I get it.