1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Your opinions about hypersexualized dolls or items in DP or other Doll Exhibitions

Jul 19, 2014

1. Hello, everyone.
      This topic has kind of steamed a lot of discussion (including cyber bullying) on a Hong Kong doll forum, and I would like to know the opinions from different people.

What do you think about perverted/ hentai doll items (including doll clothes designed for related purposes, or maybe bondage items designed for dolls), and what do you think DP or other exhibitions should do about it?

I personally would prefer not to see them. (And then I was being bullied because of stating that. They are having a problem with me stating that.)
      But I wouldn't ask for a complete ban because I'm aware that there are people who enjoy that, or even, people who play with these dolls for solely this purpose.

(I said "I know that a lot of people who play with Dollfie Dreams like to dress their dolls in hentai/ perverted clothes" and that "I personally am not comfortable with it" and people are gang bullying me for that. )

I personally would prefer if DP could have a certain area for dolls dressed like that, so people can choose to enter the area or not, and that people can avoid them if they don't like it. (Rather than lying around so everybody sees them, whether they want to or not)

I think it's simply best to give people a choice to see it or to not see it. So that people who enjoy it can still enjoy it, whilst people who are not ready for it/ uncomfortable around these can avoid it easily.
      I don't think having a higher moral stance is wrong, and I certainly don't think I should be mocked for being myself.

==========

I actually didn't grow up in Hong Kong, and I don't know how to handle the situation.
      I feel that I don't understand them, and they in turn didn't understand me neither, causing some misunderstanding.
      Anyway, somehow, they are furious about it.

2. I do agree to your opinion about separating the 18+ Zone out from general zone at DP or any Doll Convention. I don't against them and also it depends on people's preference anyway, but still seeing them without being warned first will be quite a shock. Hahaha! :XD: Especially in a public place. I don't know where should I look at instead. This kind of situation I've experience once at comic fairs which I and few friends decided to visit there and afterward doing a doll meet.

3. Exactly.
      Like they had a problem with people being uncomfortable around stuff like these.
      And I got called "moral monk" for that.

How can they assume everyone's gonna be ok with seeing it anyway?

4. I agree with the seperation of the 18+ zone too Lavandula. However, I wouldn't call it "perverted" or your opinion a "higher moral stance". As this implies that you consider yourself above them. I'm not saying this is what you think, but it might be interpreted that way. Anyhow, it is wrong of them to bully you. That is for certain.

It is only human for opinions and levels of comfort to differ, so leaving people a choice would be a good idea and a good compromise.

5. I would also prefer highly sexualised dolls to be kept to a specific area of exhibitions. Not because I have an issue with individual expressions of sexuality, but because I live in a society that is deeply sexist, and being reminded of that stuff while I'm trying to engage with my hobbies can be depressing and exhausting. I would like to be given the choice to see or avoid sexualised dolls when I want to, rather than it simply being assumed that I should be fine with them all the time.

6. I think keeping the racy stuff separated is a good plan. Another doll forum I'm on has a section like that, that you can only get it if your eighteen and have a password...

7. I do think having a separate area for 18+ linked items, would be a good idea! Just in case there was minors there. I am personally not against it or anything like that, because personally I am each to their own as long as you're not hurting anyone. In having a separate area you can make sure no one under age (or anyone who might not want to see it) is going to see these things though. I think that seems like a good compromise because I think an all out ban would be wrong since so many people do enjoy it.

I also don't think it is a higher moral stance, it is just a personal preference thing. Some people see the things they do with dolls as art, and I myself have been known to do risque photoshoots. I also think in art many things should be expressed, including sexual content. However there is a time and a place for these things to be displayed.

8. Your proposal that adult items should be located in a separate area at shows is a reasonable one. Perhaps it's your wording that has upset people in the other community. I don't know if your discussion is in Chinese, but in English the word 'perverted' has very negative connotations. Perhaps being trying to be a bit more sensitive when choosing what language you use will make your idea seem more palatable.

I agree that the display of adult items can be a problem. For example, a couple of years ago I went on a family holiday to Japan. I avoided visiting Volk's stores other Sato because everyone would have wanted to go with me and I was too embarrassed for my parents to see some of the display items. If they had been displayed somewhere more discreet it would have been easier for me.

9. Ya, I think it might have been the wording, and that they are getting something else.
      Quite a number of them thought I hated Dollfie Dreams for some reason, and refuse to believe me when I'm telling them that I didn't mean that.

10. Personally, I come from a conservative and religious culture and upbringing, and I'm not ashamed of it, so to me, these things are wrong beyond measure, and of course I would not want to see any of that at a place where I expect to have fun and enjoy my time and meet new people!

I also think that it is fine by saying that you have higher moral stance than others who enjoy it, because whether or not you like it or not, in the end, it is very crude and perverted, not to mention offensive to women in some degree. People have just started to be more open about it, and that's why it has become something that is "okay" and others defending them for having their own preference. To each their own yes, but keep that in your own premises and don't include it in a convention. For them to condemn you for preferring not to see such things is insane -_-

It does all come down to the committee organising the event, if they would like to include it or not, and if they see to it that they'd want it a part of the event, then I agree, having an 18+ section is preferable.

Also, I think that this inclusion could lead to the bad reputation of the entire hobby. If people see these perverted dolls openly wherever they look, then other people would associate the mere ownership of dolls as scandalous or 'perverted'. Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time wording it correctly lol. Especially since the majority of people who attend these conventions are adults, so it's easy to assume the negative. Just like the anime fandom, am I right?

This is just my take on the subject and I ask for those who read this to respect me like I respect you :)

11. Same situation. Now they are laughing at me for being "childish" and "immature" for that.

There are people who don't play with DD's (Dollfie Dream) who thought DD was an item for perverted purposes.
      Some even had gone to the extreme of shouting "hentai!" during Comic World when they saw a person carrying a Dollfie Dream.

I was just trying to explain what causes this impression to them, and got myself targeted.
      I said it's because lots of people who play with DD's do dress their dolls in perverted clothing and that I personally do not want to see them dressed like that. (which implies as to why people outside the circle might have the wrong impression.)
      And somehow they twisted it into saying that I find DD itself a morally corrupted thing and that I didn't like DD's. (which really isn't the case)
      They thought I was one of the people who labelled all the DD owners.
      (And I totally have no idea what makes them think that.)

12. Personally, whatever you like is totally cool with me, long as everyone's cool with seeing it. To make sure that happens, it would be quite acceptable to have an 18+ section, one that's id checked/badge checked and separated from the general public. (This also keeps minors, who legally -can't- be seeing these things [in the US at least] out and the group as a whole keeps out of hot water.) I've been to multiple (admittedly non-doll) conventions and that's exactly how they handle adult artwork/sculpture and the like and no one seems to have a problem with it. Those that are into it, go see it and those that aren't, don't. It's really quite absurd that you got bullied over it and it makes me wonder if they're really old enough to handle adult material.

13. @ Chamillia - It is important to realise that not everyone shares your views on the subject. While I think it is perfectly fine to choose to live in a way that your personally think is the right thing to do, it is wrong to force these views on others. You seem to be expressing rather strong views on the subject, and you are name calling by calling people perverted. I can understand a compromise of an 18+ area however there is no need to express negative views towards those people who would in fact enjoy that kind of thing.

I do very much see the advantages of a separate 18+ area for the reasons I have already stated. However the people who do enjoy those kind of things might see what they are doing as an expression of art. And personally I think there is nothing wrong with that. I can understand why it would be for everyone but maybe you should reserve passing such harsh judgements.

@ lavandula
      - If you have taken the tone similar to what you have taken in this thread I can see why you would gain unwanted attention. If you are trying to argue your point you should do so in a logical calm manner and express your concerns on the subject from an overall point of view, rather than just focusing on what seems to be your own disgust in the subject. I think that is why people have called you names and reacted badly to you. To be honest I can see why people would be offended by yours and Chamillia comments.

14. Ah, I see.
      Guess I would have to be more careful next time.

Thanks for telling me that.

15. No problem, I think making a list of advantages of having an 18+ area, and expressing general concerns might be a good way to go about it. I think as much as possible keeping your owning feelings out of it, but expressing that it is not something that everyone enjoys and would feel comfortable seeing. Plus a few of us have mentioned the concern of minors seeing the adult content, which is a very good advantage of having an 18+ area. Since it can give more control over who is seeing the content.

16. I am with karla-chan and others. Your statements are strongly judgmental against people who like different things to you. That is not going to go down well with the very people whose co-operation you are seeking. The situation is that you are uncomfortable seeing these things, that you possibly believe that others feel the same way. Your position is therefore that you are asking the organisers to think about this and consider whether they could screen them off. You can not demand this, which is what you seemed to believe. There are no legal, moral or any other grounds for it. Your preference is your own and is not shared by everyone. But you can ask nicely.

I think your request that the feelings of people such as yourself are considered and that a screened off area is used are pretty reasonable. Not sure it needs to be 18+. Different people have different attitudes and dolls in lingerie with whips wouldn't be considered 18+ material around here.

Try a different tack. Ask, don't demand, and realise that many, many people enjoy sexualising these dolls, and both male and female dolls (although I realise this largely pertains to DDs). It is just another way to enjoy the hobby. No better and no worse than any other.

17. This is supposed to be a hobby for adults, so why worry about screening things from underage kids who probably shouldn't be there anyway?

It isn't like you don't have a choice whether to look at that particular exhibit or not. Go around it if it's uncomfortable for you, or avert your eyes. We don't expect art museums to keep the nudes off in a back gallery, do we?

18. I have actually heard someone suggest this, having gone round the Louvre, so don't underestimate some people's discomfort at seeing the unclothed human body, or works with a sexual element. We all like and are comfortable with different things. No organiser can accommodate all these various preferences, but would be sensible to at least consider reasonable requests.

19. I think your comment was really well worded actually, and you made some additional really valid points.

20. I've heard the suggestion about the Louvre as well, that why I'm bringing it up. ;)

This isn't exactly "naked Barbie on parade" at a toy store where children would be expected. Most of us are adults here, and an adult should be capable of handling it in a mature manner by making a choice to not look. If an adult is uncomfortable with such things, the problem is theirs. The rest of the world shouldn't have to accommodate something they can handle themselves IMO.