1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it considered cheap if all someone's dolls are second handed?

May 26, 2014

1. I'm thinking about this-- I want a collection of several PukiPuki's/ Lati Whites, and I'm thinking of second hand to save cost.
      But does it feel kind of cheap if all the dolls from my collection are bought second handed?

2. Absolutely not!

Of all my dolls, only two, and soon to be two more, were bought straight from the company. The others are all second hand. Second hand does not necessarily mean cheaper. Extra, limited event items, eyes, wig, and special faceup can all drive up the price to be greater than from the original company.

3. I don't think 2nd hand market saves money, especially if you are buying lots (shipping can end up more expensive in the end). Besides, it's only 'cheap' if it looks cheap. Out of my collecting 5 were bought/traded on DoA, one bought on Ebay. I don't think anyone would call my dollies cheap.

4. No, I think it's part of the hobby to buy and resell with other people in the community. It's also not actually much cheaper to buy second hand. You may find some good deals but I feel like in the end the 2nd hand market price are almost the same as getting it from the company. If it's a limited then it'll probably be even more. The only thing you may save is cost in shipping and waiting time.

5. Oh... really?
      There's a Hong Kong doll forum I go to where second hands are a lot cheaper, and they just handover the dolls face to face.
      But they don't seem to have any Puki Puki's or Lati Whites, that's why I thought I could get some cheap ones here.

6. Most of my dolls are second hand, bought off ebay, I only ever bought two new. One I was really happy with, the other unfortunately was completely the wrong colour from what I had ordered, if i had bought him second hand I would have known his colour before purchase from photos.
      Besides sometimes its fun to know that your doll has a history

7. All of my dolls, except my IH Kamau are second hand. In my case it was the only way to get the dolls, because they were limited. Where your dolls come from (directly from the company or not) doesn't matter in the least.

It really depends on the doll if it's cheaper to get it second hand or not. For some high end limiteds you'll end up paying the jackpot, but there are also quite a few dolls that sell for less. From what I know, there isn't much difference in price between new and second hand, but I confess that I haven't navigated the marketplace in a long while and so my intel is dated.

8. Absolutely not! Dolls don't really lose their value , especially if they're well taken care of. Also they're often sold by the company only for short periods of time, so if you want one of those you have to buy second hand.

9. Six of my dolls are secondhand and I didn't get them cheap. With my secondhand limiteds, I paid more than the original price (otherwise I broke even if I was lucky), and the standard dolls I might have saved a little, but not by a huge margin. In my opinion, one of the biggest gains is not having to wait months for the company to make the doll for you. So overall, I would not say it's not considered cheap to buy dolls secondhand.

10. My first doll was bought new, second was second hand and the third is second hand. The one I am purchasing currently is much more expensive than 99% of new dolls on the market because it is a limited.

Second hand doesn't necessarily mean cheap :)

11. The majority of my dolls are second hand, sometimes its the only way to get certain dolls. There's a huge market on here with second hand dolls. There will probably be some who will look down on you for it (there's people like this throughout life anyway lol) but the majority of people in the hobby won't. Here's a good rule I use: if I love the doll, who cares if it isn't new?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_214 using Tapatalk

12. How should people know you bought your doll second-hand?
      As long as you don't mention it all the time and write it on the dolls forehead nobody would know?@_@

So, no, nobody cares. Some dolls can't be bought otherwise anyway and in many cases second-hand is only cheaper if the doll is non-limited and/or damaged to some degree.

13. The most expensive BJDs can now only be purchased second hand. I'd probably crack up at someone trying to say someone who owned, say, several Volks Rozen Maiden dolls was cheap because they were bought second hand.

Now, with popular dolls like Pukis and Latidolls, if you see really cheap deals for them on the dolls second hand, I'd be very concerned the dolls were actually recasts. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

14. It seems like a lot of people re-home dolls, so it's probably not that uncommon for people to have secondhand dolls. I don't know how anyone would even know if your doll was secondhand to judge you for it. I doubt most people would ask unless you were reselling it.

15. I'm afraid that if you're looking for "cheap" dolls you're going to be sadly disappointed. Pukis hold their value, like most Fairyland dolls, and I'm fairly sure Lati Whites do as well. So don't come into the MP expecting to find those dolls for half off or whatever, because it probably won't happen. And like Saaya-chan said, shipping can add up real fast, so make sure to factor that into your buying equation.

As for other people's impressions -- who gives a flip? As long as you get the doll you want and it's legit then that's all that matters.

EDIT:

PFFFFFT. Damn it, I was drinking something when I read that.

16. No! A million times no! I have a lot of my dolls second hand or hybird second hand! And honestly, I love them just as much as a new doll.

I think their are advantages to a second hand doll. You can get pics of posing and a lot of great information about the doll from its previous owner. And you can give it a new home and love! (Of course, I am very big for second hand things in general. :))

17. Absolutely not. When I started in this hobby 10 years ago it was very difficult to order straight from the source in Asia. So all my dolls were 2nd hand or bought by intermediaries. Also given the limited ordering periods for some dolls the only way to find a particular doll is on the 2nd hand marketplace. Especially if you decide you want it after that order period has passed.

18. All three of my MSD's are second hand.

19. ^THIS
      If you're finding a lot of super cheap dolls, then I would definitely be concerned that they are recasts! Whatever your personal opinions are on recasts, they are not allowed on DoA, whether you're trying to sell them, just post pictures of them, anything.
      Anyways, like everyone else has been saying, most dolls hold their value pretty well, especially from big companies like Fairyland. Less popular dolls/companies might sell for under value, but in the long run, chances are that all you'll really be saving money on is shipping (if the seller is in the same country as you) and time (no months long wait for someone to make the doll, which is why I personally like buying second hand).

20. I'm sure there was a topic posted like this recently.

Please! Hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a second-hand doll is NOT cheap by anyone's standards. There are dealers who buy and resell expensive dolls to people and it is NOT cheap.

I have never heard anyone, ever, in the bjd world say that having a doll that is not bought directly from a company is cheap.

It sounds as if it's someone from outside of the community bringing in such ideas. Dolls are bought and sold in the Marketplace here all the time--so it's not something that is looked down upon. If people can't sell their dolls when they need to, that would really hurt everyone in the bjd world. So no one in their right mind is going to denigrate second-hand dolls.