1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there a unsaid rule about beginners and dolls?

Dec 29, 2012

1. Like, It's a general question, let me narrow it down.

I'm a little afraid of being judged or looked upon like a 'rich girl' or 'show off', since I only just got into the hobby, studied everything I could find for several months, and an entire summer, budgeted and saved, and then just this month, placed orders for two dolls to be my first dolls.
      Loongsoul's limited edition Tiger Boy was[is] my first, and I saw some negative things about people who started out with limited editions, good quality dolls, and fullsets. Well, I ended up being unable to pay for the fullset, so instead I made some connections and friends with people who actually offered to paint him for me.

I also ordered clothes and a wig for him, and was debating on eyes, but decided to leave that up to chance.
      Now, this may all be ok, but then once I was finished with him, I moved on, and fell in love with Dollzone Stramonium. So I placed a layaway order on her fullset in order to also get the christmas event. Now that makes a total of three dolls for a beginner, once you include the tiny tiny doll included for free with her.
      I'm worried if I'm bordering on some unwritten rule of 'do not do'.

The thing that really tips this all though, and makes me wonder, and ask, is the next two I'm planning. I came across Sugarble, and fell in love with Darlene and Adela. I'm hoping to order them next month, since my budgeting is still holding. Along with a cute little petdoll that I found elsewhere that I think would make a great gift for my best friend who I helped get into the hobby by donating for her first doll, A Dream of Doll Adolph earlier this month.

Is this too much? Will I be labeled as snobby or rich for doing this?

Is falling for dolls like this normal? Especially around the holiday event season?

And here I had gotten into the hobby scoffing and believing I'd only ever like having just a single doll...

Also, sorry if this isn't the right place to post this.. I'm still learning my way around.

2. No you won't be labeled as a "rich girl" or "show off" that's perfectly normal. I think most doll collectors order around this time when there's events going on and you can possibly get things for cheaper prices. I think that the line "I only want one." is said by everyone in the forum and we all know one soon multiplies to three and three to six :XD:. When I first got into the hobby I thought people would think of me the same way but only because I was eight years old. When you go to your first meet up and you see how other doll collectors spend time together you learn that it's not that way:).

3. I don't think it makes you look snobby or rich at all. Tons of people own more dolls than I could imagine having (And I think they're so lucky to have all those dolls, too!) and I don't think they're rich or snobby. I think they budget wisely and love their hobby. To me it sounds like you're managing your hobby well, and saving and budgeting nicely.
      I purchased my first doll in September and got her November, and right after that got my tiny BJD and I'm planning on putting a fullset doll on layaway. Then as soon as I can after that I'm going to be buying another doll, maybe even two dolls. But I'm not rich, and I hope you don't see me as snobby. I don't think neither of us would just go on a buying and spending spree and buy w/e we want without a second thought, and we don't act like we're better. If anything, non-BJD owners would look at you that way. They look at a lot of us BJD owners that way I think, once they find out the price of the dolls. But I don't mind, and you shouldn't either. Just do what makes you happy, and a pace that wont put you out of house and home :)

4. @Allora_Victoria: Exactly! I budget, and I plan for weeks before just clicking something. I cannot afford the Sugarble girls this month, but beginning of next month I can, and still slip in under their event. I think I chose a bad time to start, with all the events and sales and free things going on. But I guess the thing that really makes me sad is that my best friend might see me as that, since she's the one who , as she says, loves the dolls more, but yet I'm the one 'throwing my money' away. I don't see it as that. If I ever lose interest in them, I can always find someone who will give them the correct love, and get at least half the money back. Whenever I chose a doll, I research clothes, and wigs, and posing for it. User pictures and talk to people who own something similar.
      I actually don't honestly expect to see any of my little dolls till march, and the big girl on layaway till summer. But I'm perfectly fine with waiting, as it gives me time to continue to plan for them and set up their trips for face ups and body blushing and clothes to await them for when they come.

@mikuru: wow you started when you were eight? That's pretty impressive!! I'm starting, and I'm 25. XD I mean, it's not even like I think of myself as rich, I'm not going with the really expensive companies or fullsets from those. If all my dolls were that, I'd be worried. My friend chose an expensive and difficult company for her first, and she ran into complications every step of the way.
      With the dolls multiplying, I don't even know what happened. I had one idea of what I would get. And that would be it. and then suddenly, all this happens, and I'm still trying to figure out another for next christmas, since it's much more complicated than a mere beginner would know how to do. [hybridizing, oh my!]
      I'm planning on going to some meets at conventions and where ever I can reach, just to test the waters and see what the people are like, perhaps make more friends and get to know even more. Even if I don't have my dolls yet, it will be a good experience.

Thanks to both of you for your input! It's really nice to hear that my worries aren't too serious among other collectors, as it seems to be a common problem with events and this time of year.
      I suppose I'm just a bit worried about jealousy from people around me, or snide remarks. It happens all the time when I discuss cosplay with my friends, as the same techniques I'm using to budget for dolls, once went into cosplay.

5. Nah, you won;t be. People might think I am rich cause my collection number 76, with that last one being made, but I'm not. I really don't spend money on anything else, unless it's doll related. Sometimes on Mangas, and on DVDs, but it's rare. It's just what I like. I average 10 a year, or did. I only have plans for five this year but the Soom Agate doll is tempting. Mostly for her dragon!

6. It's your money and you did what you want with it - if someone else has a problem with it, that's theirs to deal with. To be honest, I just started myself and I have two that's coming to me. It's your first doll and you want it to be special even if its a $400 second hand or the $1200 fullset LE that you have lusted over. I really do think that people that are going to start the hobby get more opposition from "noncollectors" over the dolls theyre thinking of getting vs the people in the hobby

7. Rynn007: Wow, 76? That's impressive. I will never get that many, I mean that would be just too much! where would they all go!? But I'm happy that you've got a system yourself, and you understand what I talk about. I don't buy manga or anime or such anymore myself. My money is pretty much budgeted now for dolls, cosplay that is planned years ahead, and cons/travels. nothing else is allowed to distract me, aside from birthdays or important events. Agate, huh? I looked at her, she's pretty. But that little dragon is the cutest thing.

Astraldr0p: Yeah, but 'dealing with it' gets rather hard when those so said people that will probably look down upon me or let jealousy get the better of them are some of my closest friends who entered the hobby with me. XD Ordering my first doll was honestly a disappointment he was supposed to be a token of how much all my friends cared, and no one ended up helping me out. So then I began looking for myself, if I was going to be spending my money on dolls, for myself, then I'd do it my way.
      What are the two coming to you? What made you decide on them? And what tipped the scales for two instead of just one?

8. Nobody in their right mind will judge you for enjoying the hobby the way you want to - be that the most expensive Volks fullset you can find or as many Resinsoul tinies as you can handle. My first doll was a fullset but with a different wig. I personally believe a fullset is a great way to start out the hobby. You get everything you need for your first doll - eyes, wig, outfit, shoes, etc. Then you can experiment and see what you do and don't like and move on from there!

I started the hobby when I was 24. If you can budget well then I think that shows a lot of maturity. More power to you!

Now I wish you lived near me so we can go to meets together. :(

9. Syrill:See, I wanted the fullset, because of that, I didn't think I was ready to plan and set aside things and research for putting together a doll like the experts seemed to, and I could have afforded it easily if everyone I'd asked had pitched in just $25. I'm not really upset, just a little bitter. Since I spend so much on all of them, and am even planning on buying a doll for one of them for their 18th, and I had helped my best friend get her doll by paying for half of it.
      Meaning, I couldn't afford my own all on my own. so I had to get it blank with only a face up in order to afford it.
      The other one had a layaway, and I leapt on that, because that was when I began to truly look at them for myself instead of tokens then.
      I'm looking forward to putting everything together, I pretty much plan out what I want the doll to look like before I order them, and then order all the peices. I like the idea of them having wardrobes, because of the talk about staining.

Really? I just started it this past year, but with budgeting, I've been doing that for much longer, as I am an avid convention goer and cosplayer, so I know how to save up money and look for the perfect components to bring my visions to life. Also, I'm horrible at crafts, so I would have to buy everything.
      I suppose budgeting shows maturity. I've just gotten so used to it that it seems more like common sense! I mean, rather than go out to eat when there's already food at home, why not put that money aside for something new and shiny like clothes, a doll, or a ticket to another state for vacation?

Aww, you're so sweet! I love making new friends, and it means just enough to me that you'd say something like that. <3 I wish you luck and blessings in whatever you're saving for next, and whatever you yearn for the most.

10. This, this would be the problem. Do what you love, and let yourself be happy.

11. There is no such thing as a 'do not do', and there are no 'unsaid rules' about beginners and how many dolls you're 'allowed' to have. The only limit is your budget -- if you aren't unduly putting yourself into financial hardship to purchase dolls, then what right does anyone else have to dictate how many you 'should' have as a newcomer? Make yourself happy. That's all that matters, period. If you find a number of dolls all at once that charm you and you can afford to get them within your budget, then power to you, go for it. If you want to start the hobby with an expensive fullset, that's cool too. Do what you want, not what you think others might want or might judge more favorably. If people judge you as something unflattering, that's not your problem; that's theirs. You wouldn't want to be associated with those people anyway.

I purchased four dolls in my first year of collecting. Three are still with me. That was what my budget dictated, and my budget also dictated that after the acquisition of my first five I didn't add any more until this year, when two more joined the group. I'm sure you wouldn't tell me that I wasn't purchasing enough, or that four in one year were too many for a newbie collector. So why should I tell you what you should do with your own money? Just enjoy yourself and get what you want and what makes you happy. Your friends have jealousy issues, pure and simple. Those are their issues to work through, and you can't let them affect your enjoyment of the hobby -- if you spend all your time trying to cater to their issues, you'll never enjoy this. :)

12. My very first doll was a Soom limited. I was 26 when I was finally able to afford getting into the hobby. :) I'm 28 now and barely have a second doll, lol! I'm planning on two more at the end of next year. A whole YEAR of saving for me!

I have a Soom Silt, and a Souldoll Yurr. I may get two more Souldolls, or get Dollzone dolls. Not sure yet, and I have a whole year to wait, save and figure it all out. :P

Budgeting is very important for all aspects of life. You saved up to purchase what you wanted, many of us do. Infact, that is the better way to do things, if you aren't fortunate to have a family member or friends to gift you monies or a dolly for an special occasion. It took me a couple months to save for my first, and even longer for my second. I don't believe in credit cards, so I don't use them. (heh...can't handle them, tbh.)
      But I know people who are very responsible who use credit to buy a doll, and make serious arrangements to take care of their purchase. Some use layaway.

I can understand the stigma about people dropping a lot of money on their dolls, and how that can make them look snobby and/or spoiled. However, I've noticed that not many people are like that here on DOA. At least I haven't come across many. Though, we all have dolls that cost a lot of money regardless, so I feel we shouldn't be saying a damn thing about who does what in this hobby.

13. Well, my friends and I had never really see eye-to-eye about interests. It's sad that you went through a bad experience with them :( but you also have to look at it that its your money, not theirs, you worked hard for this and not them. You shouldnt feel guilty because of your friends dont "approve" what you bought. The dolls that I am buying are just ones that I have been staring at since I was interested. I really want a Unoa Lusis and managed to find a nice deal on one and the other is a Iplehouse Eva that my boyfriend will be helping me with :3

14. I did the same thing. Though I shopped around for lower priced dolls for my first dolls. I love them but these are going to be my guinea pigs for learning to suede and face up and such. I totally have gluing lashes down to a science *thumbs up* I bought my first girl in Feb and saved and ended up buying another a month or so later. My BFF said "Where are you getting this crazy money from to buy these dolls!?" When to be honest depending on the company my two put together cost less than one. It's a fact that the hobby takes money ( and what some people consider to be ALOT ) but don't all hobbies cost in the long run?

You're not a "rich girl". You're making an investment into something that makes you happy ^-^

15. *Please do not take any of the following to offense*

I'm sure you're a very nice kind person, so please don't assume I think of you badly or anything.

Based off what you said, it seems as though you need to do a little more thinking. See, getting 'tired' of your dolls, is kind if a bad thing. They're expensive, I just don't think it's very easy to afford 'getting tired' of your dolls... And if you are getting tired of them, then you obviously didn't get the right doll... The doll should really call to you.
      Another thing that's really important thing about the hobby is you kinda have to have long term plans (?if you will,) BJDs aren't really bought simply to just have, in my opinion. Making clothes, taking pictures, buying wigs, accessories, etc. is what makes them last.
      So, obviously you're interested in dolls, but maybe you should wait to get further into the hobby. Maybe take a break from looking at other dolls and pay more attention to the ones you already have :')

But I definitely don't believe you're snobby or going to labeled. Just based on my beliefs and such, I just feel a little bad for your dolls!

16. The way I see it is to each their own.
      I've studied, researched, searched, and changed my mind for over 12 years about BJD's before getting my first one.
      My first is a AOD MSD and I have two more on the way.
      Do what you like, like what you do, and who cares what people think.
      I am just recently following my own advice by the way.

17. How sad that people have to be so judgemental. You should be able to get what you want. What, are you supposed to spend less, and get something you don't even like? That's silly. I admire anyone who does their research and works hard for what they want.

18. @Umu-dolly: I only mentioned that one fact once, as a 'what if' outcome. Like, if perhaps, somewhere down the line, I just can't do it anymore, or a situation requires me to give them up. I've thought about what to do in that situation, and I already know that in the future, if that ever happens, there are people I trust and know who would continue to give my dolls love and respect. I've been devoted to cosplay for many years, and it's just as expensive and involved as the bjd hobby, with less rewards in the community sense. It's also quite a bit less personal.

your last comment though.. I don't have any dolls. These will be my first. And the ones that have really called for me, and that I just can't bear to see slip away when the opportunity passes, well, they've inspired me to attempt projects such as learning about making or adapting wigs, clothes, props..Not to mention that with each one I plan, I don't just recklessly buy it without arranging for the perfect eyes, wig, and warddrobe to be ordered and picked out before the doll gets home.

I really do want to try. It's merely the number I worry about due to the fact I seem to like to start whatever I get into, extravagantly. And if people will think I'm a show-off for doing so.

Thanks for your help, it really helps to see other's sides on a slightly more negative vote. I'll be careful to show I care, and don't seem wishy washy.
      Really, thank you. I don't take offense at all. But does this explain it a bit more?

19. @AngelicLies

Whoops! Looks like I miss read some information! But say everything you said was true, that's how I would think.
      If all you're asking is whether people will look at you accusingly because your first doll is expensive and or limited - No problem at all. People do it all the time! And if I recall correctly, someone made a point in the above comments, if your first doll is cheap and isn't really the one you want, but you bought a cheap one because it was your first, then that is pointless. My first doll was $550. I even modified my first doll. Lots or people would say that's a big risk to take. But you should follow your heart.

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

20. Aside from health and care issues, there isn't really any 'rule' you should ever follow. My first doll was a fullset and I also received a small gift doll because of the event at the time. A month later, I bought another doll. Nothing negitive happened, and there wasn't any problems.

If someone says something snarky about your choices, it's not your fault. People like that will find anything to critisize. And, honestly, I would recommend rather than discourage getting a fullset for a first doll. For beginners it's a little more easy to have a doll that dosn't need to be shipped out for a faceup, and you already have clothes and a wig for your doll to wear while you find other outfits you would like to buy.