1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Trouble deciding what doll to get?

Oct 5, 2012

1. I searched and searched in the general discussion and couldn't find a similar subject being discussed, so here goes!

Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Have you ever set your mind on one doll and then changed it last second?
      Have you ever not been able to decide between two, three or even four dolls?

Well, that's me at the moment! For the last few months I've been thinking that the next doll I'd get when I had the funds would be FL MF Shiwoo, then when I realized that I actually had enough together to get him, I browse around and think I like MF Ruth, but then I think it would be fun to have a girl (I've already got two boys) but then I see DC Colin and it's love at first sight, but I was so set on getting a MF that I'm having second, third, fourth and fifth thoughts! I'm so confused! Anybody else ever felt like this??

2. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get? Definitely! I've always been indecisive about everything, though. Part of the reason I'm so particularly indecisive now, though, is that the first doll I got didn't really bond with me too well (and I changed my mind about the size I wanted him and the rest of the dolls to be), so I felt pretty bad about/still feel pretty bad about it. Now that I'm back in the hobby, I'm excited about getting new dolls, but that fear that I won't bond with them is still there. I try to be very picky to avoid that feeling again.

Have you ever set your mind on one doll and then changed it last second? Yeah. D: I would change my mind several times, actually but generally I kind of tried to go with the first doll that really struck my fancy, or the one I'd want to get first character-wise. (Hopefully that doesn't hurt me when I order my next doll - it was sort of love at first sight :sweat).

Have you ever not been able to decide between two, three or even four dolls? Yeah! While I can't remember the sculpt names now, a few years ago I was trying to choose between a bunch of MSD sclupts until I finally went with the one I got. I also did this with some LUTS SDFs, I believe.

3. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Yes. I think Yo-SD and smaller are very cute but their clothing options seem limited. (I prefer 'edgier' clothing like Dollhearts rather than 'cutesy clothes'.. Dollhearts isn't cheap but the quality is amazing, imo.) I'm the type who wants to have everything set in stone alongside ordering a doll. Outfit, wig, eyes etc... That's a big factor for me deciding which doll to get. That, and I have to absolutely love a sculpt.. both promo and owner pics. If I have any doubt at all I step away and look at others. I love a lot of the 58-70 cm doll clothes I've seen but I really can't imagine myself owning one that big.. None of the sculpts have jumped out at me except for a few from Ringdoll but we'll have to see I guess.

Yes. I did that with the KDF I ordered. I initially wanted KDF Yuz, then I saw Ani.. fought a few days between those two and then jumped on Luts' site again and fell hard for Bory after looking at a ton of owner pics. I knew I wanted him a lot more than those two. This wait is driving me nuts, though.
      :(

Mhm! Went through that with Yuz and Ani.. but as I said, Bory beat both of them out. :P Now I'm in this situation but I won't be ordering until December at the earliest so I have some time left to decide completely. I really want another Fairyland doll. It's between LTF Shiwoo and MNF Woosoo... vampire elf or human, I can't quite decide. I'm leaning more towards Woosoo VE at the moment as I get the strongest feelings from him. Time will tell!

4. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?

All the time! Usually though, I'm swayed by others trying to rehome dolls, and go for those first. XD

Nope! I'm happy to say that I've gotten the ones I've had my heart set on.

Yep, I'm in that boat right now. LOL

5. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?

yup...I'm an incredibly indecisive person.

yes just recently, I was all set on a Thuja but saw him blank and ended up deciding on Huang instead. (I found Thuja to be boring blank.)

All the time, there's too many choices and not enough money. Once I make a decision (and that decision is clicking the order button seriously) I am generally happy with the choice. Take my recent purchase, Dragondoll Huang....its not the first time I've looked at that sculpt.

6. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get? Yes! I do this all the time. Right now, I have 5 floating head and am trying to decide who gets a body next. lol

Have you ever set your mind on one doll and then changed it last second? YES! Sometimes even after the doll arrives, I realize I chose the wrong one.

YES! When i was looking to shell Sixx, I had NO clue what he'd look like, just a fuzzy idea in my head. And since nothing was jumping at me, I decided to let him "decide" what he'd be. I had a set amount I could spend and decided that whatever head I found that fit in my price range and appealed to me would be Sixx. Then I got offered an AoD Tao Hua Dao head in exchange for faceup services and he became Sixx! And he is absolutely perfect for the character! Even though it's a head a I never would have thought to look at on my own.

7. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Yep, definitly.

Almost. With my last purchase, it was kind of an impulse buy on a newly released LE. I had the money saved for a doll, I just didn't know which doll to get next. After I bought him, I wondered if I should have tried looking for a sold-out LE on the MP I'm after, but I don't want to pay the second hand price for two dolls. So I bought the LE from the company, and will wait to search for the other dollie when I have enough in my doll fund ^_^

Yes... when I had fewer dolls this was more of a problem. Now that I've narrowed and focused my wishlist (not to mention become more patient to wait for the right opportunity), I have a much better plan for how I want to build my doll family.

8. Oh yeah, it's happened to me before. XD;

Being torn between one doll and another.

Just this past month, actually. See, I'd been saving and budgeting for Azera from DoD. Then SOOM released this limited edition Super Gem for NYCC. And I was seriously tempted to get him for a little while; his sculpt was a little underwhelming, but I figured I could make him interesting with a different faceup/wig/eyes. I ultimately wound up settling on Azera, though, because I'd had my eye on his sculpt for A WHILE and already had an idea as to what I was going to do with him.

It actually felt pretty good to be resolute on that matter; something I'm going to have to remember for the future. I have no regrets.

9. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get? D

I never had trouble deciding over dolls until I bought my first MSD girl and I wanted to get her a 'boyfriend'.

I had 2 dolls in mind and I couldn't decide which one will be better for her. But then I decided to give it time and develop his personality, little by little, I was able to choose the perfect doll for this character :)

When you are undecided, just give it time and a lot of thought.

Yes, the same issue as above. I was ready to buy one of them and before clicking "check out" I decided to google the other boy doll once again and this time, for some odd reason, I found a picture that I didn't see before and it made me fall in love with him! it also assured me that he was the right choice. So, I didn't buy my first choice^^ the one I thought was so right for my girl's boyfriend. Thank God I waited!

For the record, I still haven't purchased him. I already got too many dolls this year and I want to leave that one for next year, hopefully.

Other than what I wrote above, no, it never happened before until now and I'm not undecided anymore. :)

10. I want them all! Seriously, my wishlist is HUGE.
      I usually prioritize by if a sculpt is limited or available on the secondhand market for a good price. Other than that, I keep saving for the next doll and look around again to see which doll has the strongest pull on me at the moment. I know I probably can't have all the dolls I want, but...but...I can dream! I've never changed my mind at the last second, but I have regretted getting a doll after I ordered it... I just ordered a girl MSD after having my eye on a different one from the same company, and buying her was pretty impulsive. Now I wish I'd bought the other one >.>

11. OMG YES. In fact, I changed my mind about a sculpt last week because I saw that the ears were terribly off-center- like, one is distinctly higher than the other. As much as I tried to look past it and convince myself that such a detail wouldn't really be noticable under a wig, I couldn't not see the imbalance once I had spotted it. There is another sculpt I've found that I love too, so it's all good! And as for swaying between two different dolls, the answer is another yes- I have several on my wishlist right now, and a few of them in particular have been vying for the top spot on my to-buy list. I've finally established which one will come home next, but it's taken a lot of time and deliberation to reach that decision.

12. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Yeah. There are so many great sculpts out there and I'm new to the hobby, so deciding who to get as my first doll has been more than a little difficult.

Yep. I had my heart set on a specific doll as my first BJD ever, but once I started saving up the money I changed my mind. Turned out for the better, since he is currently sold out anyway.

Oh yes. I decided to get some tinies as my first BJDs and I had a hard time deciding between companies. Then I couldn't decide on which sculpts I wanted to get first once I had decided which company to go with! Took me a few weeks to make a solid decision on which dolls I was going to spring for.

13. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Oh, very much. I've been looking at abjds since 2009 and have yet to actually a purchase a doll because of my difficulty deciding just who I want. This is probably because I really only want two dolls, maybe three and have far too many I love.

I have a problem with wanting to own all the cute things I see. This isn't a plausible thing, so I have to limit myself. Which means picking an absolute favourite and I've never in my life been able to narrow down something to one absolute favourite thing ever, be it books, movies or songs. I can't even tell you my favourite colour because I have about 4 of them.

Yes. On several occasions. At one point I was certain I was going to purchase a Minifee Miyu. Then I spent about a year constantly changing my mind over whether or not I'd purchase Bluefairy Paul, Minoruworld Jaden or Iplehouse Ringo. I was very close to buying each and every one of those dolls when another one came up (Ringo) or real world responsibilities got in the way which always seems to lead to me noticing a new doll in the meantime.

Yes. Currently there are six dolls I adore but am not really certain about since I sort of waffle back and forth over which I want more. Two of them are awkward sizes that would involve a lot of hunting for appropriate accessories, but they're both adorable and so I love them. Another two are from the same company, again, I love them both, one is pouty and I love me some pout whereas I just *really* like the nose on the other. My last two have had issues in their quality before so I'm a little leery. One of those two is also a little weird in sizing, and I'm not in the mood to rip my hair out looking for accessories.

I also recently thought I had narrowed down my plans for good (SF Paul, St. Bloom Charlotte and SQ Lab Moe) when within the next week Bluefairy put Jaden on a shiny fairy body and SQ Lab released an in progress picture of a new body. Thus my plans and wants have shifted again. At this point I'm back to squate one, and am just going to step back, forget about them and try to make up my mind next month.

14. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Yes sometimes it takes me MONTHS before buying a doll and ended up in the first choice that i always go back to.

yes I do, hahaha but i don't regret on doing so tho ^_^

Yes. it's very hard to decide when i have more than 3 dolls of choice that I want to purchase them all. lol but I can't

15. Looks like I'm going to be the exception here ...

Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Not anymore. I was all like that before I had really made up my mind about what I wanted to do with my dolls. Now that I've decided to shell characters from a story of mine, I know what to look for in a doll. And unless one really "clicks" for one of the characters I don't buy them, even if I like the sculpt.

Can't really say I have. But with the kind of money involved in buying a doll I tend to think it through very, VERY thoroughly.

I've had trouble sticking to the order in which I was going to get them. I've got a few on my lists (the very stable "must have" list and the frequently changing "possibly maybe" one) and the sensible thing to do would bringing them home "in order of appearance", but that plan got scrapped by Real Life :lol: So far I haven't really had any trouble deciding which one to get, because either my mind was made up for me externally (e.g. a limited release) or I noticed upon wanting to buy them that I hadn't really decided on all options, so I went with one I was more sure about.

16. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get? YES. I'm the most indecisive person I know on anything (you can find me at the store debating on getting a chocolate or vanilla cupcake for 10 minutes at a time)
      Have you ever set your mind on one doll and then changed it last second? Sorta. I usually have an idea of what ones I really like in the back of my mind and will keep returning to them if I really have my eye on them.
      Have you ever not been able to decide between two, three or even four dolls? Right now I'm like that, but it's like process of elimination. I like to look at other people's dolls with the same sculpt but different customization to see how they look when not in the company pictures, which helps a lot. Also, I've gotta make sure I have the image in mind of what look I'm going for while I search or I'll get nowhere fast.

17. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?

Always...
      I usually take a long time to find a doll that I really like, after I decide that I will buy a new one.
      So, it is not that I can't decide between several options, but that I have trouble finding a single one that I truly love :p

Yes.
      I hate when that happens, but, sadly, it's not something that can be avoided... And the first time that happened, I regretted my decision in the end. I should have bought the other doll. It's been a few years, but even now I wish I could undo that choice =_=

No!
      I don't have a wishlist, and don't feel like having tons of dolls... So I don't think I ever found myself in a situation where I truly couldn't choose between two or more new dolls.
      In the end, my decisions are very impulsive =/
      Sometimes, it works wonderfully.
      However, there was the one time I regretted it.

18. I'm not sure about this one. When I first was introduced to BJD's it was through Shlee's PKF Luna, and then seeing the F65 Siean on Fairyland's site. After browsing a lot, I decided I want a Karsh (on a girl body). That wasn't too hard of a decision - but then things got complicated... I finally am in a position where I can afford to get my MNF Karsh, and while browsing the Marketplace, I saw an Eliya. Oh my my my. Her face sculpt is wonderful and somehow I'd never noticed.

On top of that, now... the MNF Yder and MNF Siean heads... I'm definitely trying to pick those up since I missed the event window by weeks. I'm finding that I'm more than comfortable with the idea of 'collecting' a bunch of elves, but the tricky part has come down to whether I still want to get the MNF Karsh first or not. (She's a much more serious character, while an Eliya/Siean sculpt character would be much more... into playing dress-up.)

19. Yeah...All.The.Darn.Time.

I first wanted an RS Mei....Then my mom yelled at me amidst my planning and stuff (when my mom commented how gorgeous Mei was a few days ago and asked me why I didn't get that one I decidedly didn't mention how it was her who forced my choice) and I couldn't look at the sculpt without feeling a lot of sadness...I wanted to write my book starring a character whom the Mei would illustrate the story as and now I'm still trying not to let it rule...I just have a hard time deciding if someone makes me feel really bad around or at the time I'm picking a specific sculpt.

Then I walked away from Resin for a long time expanding my OT collection slowly and then I started looking into the MSD size...I thought I could make more money if I started selling doll clothes for the slim MSD scale so I looked back into popular dolls that were hard to find clothes for...I found RS again after originally wanting a KDF Yuz (still want one just not right now) and stumbling across the sale page for an RS song who's owner was willing to do a layaway....

That doll became my most precious...My Avalon. It was love...I couldn't stop dreaming about him, thinking of stories and when I had him in my arms for the first time I almost cried a little...Because he was here...He was finally here...A dream became reality....

Now I wanna save up for another MSD but it's proving hard again....Between a Mei and an OT boy.

20. Do you ever have trouble deciding what doll to get?
      Yes, every single time I save up for a new doll
      :sweat
      I just did that recently! I was deciding between a MNF Celine and an AS Dina and decided on a Dina but then a GO came up with an event head I wanted from FL so I went with Celine last minute
      :thumbup

Yes! Whenever I buy a doll I just focus on that doll alone and then when I go to save up for the next I just stare at my want list not sure who to go for next :doh