1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How does your family react to the hobby ?

Jul 31, 2011

1. My family likes the hobby lot! My brother likes collecting master grade gundam models and my dad likes collecting anime figures, my mom likes good looking male so when I told them about it, they're more excited than I am!

My dad though doesn't want me to get one unless he as one first, but I'm getting one before him anyways~(Shh~ He doesn't know ;))

My mom's getting me one as a graduation gift :D (I guess with that as inspiration I won't get delayed to college any longer)

And my brother kept asking me if he can do the face-up, restringing and mods. I can see his excitement whenever we talk about the dollies. I talk to him about getting one for himself but he said he already have children so it's kinda too late for him.:sweat

2. Oh I can hear it already. My mom would be like "You're an ADULT and you're still playing with DOLLS?! What's wrong with you?! How much was it?!" And even if I answered "$20", she would rant on and on about how because I'm looking at anything other than a textbook, I'll never make it through college. I'm not even exaggerating. My boyfriend didn't used to believe that my mom was as crazy as I said she was but now he's seen her in action. My dad would probably be okay with it. He's a little crazy himself but cares more about my mental health than my mom does. Though if either one of them knew the actual price, my organs would probably be forcibly sold to get some of that money back. :(

So.

Luckily.

They're never going to find out. Lol I don't still live with them and when it comes time for them to visit me, I'll just hide my doll.

3. My mom has gotton better over the years. She still not a big fan of my Shiwoo Riven. I have seen her look at my EL in a new light. I don't like girl dolls for myself but a took a chance and got My EL a girl body and did not mode it. I think of him as more of a male wearing like a breast plate and tucking...( I am a huge Rupaul drag race/drag U fan). But anyway she will have more to do with Adriel (EL) then any of my others. She even tried to make props for them. Waaaay too big but I have to give her some credit.

4. My mom thinks it's silly. She thought my obitsu was fun to just pose randomly where I would leave her, but when I got my bigger girl she patronized me for buying a doll just to dress up and walked away... I don't know if she's trying to not come to terms with my odd hobbies.. (she still is hoping I'll grow out of my love for anime and figurines) :|

My dad on the other hand has a way about his teasing. He teases while asking questions, so I know he is intrigued by them a little. He also was joking around about Kaylynn while she had no hair saying "Elves have a hair ya know! If you're going to dress her up and treat her like a person giver her some hair!" it made me laugh quite a bit. :)
      I just posted pictures on my facebook so we'll see how those family members think of it... :sweat

5. My mom and dad think they're just a waste of money. I bought a doll each for me and my partner, and when I got back home he told me to stop buying junk! :( I told him that they weren't junk, and he just laughed! I don't respect him when he's critical of me like this.
      My mom will listen to me talk about them a bit, and I'll show her faceups and clothes I've done, and she'll try and seem interested, but I know she's not the biggest fan of them. orz
      I have a few family members that seem to be interested. If only I got to see them more instead of my parents. > __ >;

6. I'm not entirely sure what they think of the hobby;; I know they were very hesitant for the first few years since it's so expensive, probably hoping i'd grow out of it before even getting started in it. :< But i saved up for Demetri myself and got him! :> My mother likes to try and get me to make clothes and whatnot for Demetri every so often, but i think she's still not very keen on the whole thing. My father teased me after i opened Demetri (my father arrived home just as i finished up his box opening), but otherwise doesn't say much.
      My sister likes the hobby but doesn't have a doll of her own yet, since she's busy with college and can't save up that much money. And my (irl)friends think they're weird and too expensive and silly. OTL Most of my online friends love them and we get to spazz about them a lot haha! XD

7. None of them overly care, a doll's a doll and considering I've put family though myself bringing snakes/ lizards and dead animals (for taxidermy, skins/hides) home on an almost weekly basis I think they're all quite happy I'm spending my money on something different and a little more "mundane" than usual... *_*

8. They wouldn't react well at all, so I'm putting off buying one until I move out (soon). And if they visit, I'll ask one of the girls to keep them in her room xD

9. My family was not okay with it at first but it's my money so they can't really do anything about it. They're more understanding now than before though since they know it's something I really enjoy, and as long as they don't know the real price. =P

10. Mom: Wow! She's beautiful!Dad: 'I don't want to know their price.'brother: 'Why do u spend that much on a doll?'Stepbro: 'Please don't tell me your doll is behind me' (He was looking into a mirror. And she was! ;) )Stepsis: Why is she so tiny? (Referring to my Pukifee)Stepdad: 'That doll is scary realistic.'Me: I LOVE THEM OF COURSE :)

11. My hubby actually introduced me to the world of doll collecting, although I don't think he could have guessed how big my interest in dolls would become. He collects vinyl figures and he bought me Gina Garan's 'This is Blythe' book as a present as he thought I would find the pictures interesting, which I did, and I started collecting and photographing dolls from there. I think he gets a bit exasperated by the amount of money I now spend on the hobby, but he never complains when I take a doll with us out in public to photograph!!

My dad is a real amateur photographer so whilst he hasn't really said anything about my doll collecting habits as such, he is very happy to chat about photography with me and give me tips on photographing my dolls. My mum collects bears so she doesn't find my hobby too weird, I don't think, although she was taken-aback when she found out how much money I spend on some of my dolls!

12. Well when I first got into bjds I was a bit younger so I suppose my family thought it was ok for me to have a bjd. But now my mom thinks they're interesting and I can actually talk to her about them, my older sister thinks they're like beautiful works of art and she adores my bjd XD and my dad is just neutral lol (oh dads) and I had a friend who loved them and now I have a friend who calls them creepy but she's pretty respectful of me and the hobby so I guess everythings good :)

13. My dad and brothers think it's kind of creepy, but mom seems to be intrigued by them, considering she let me get them X3

14. They were like "OH MY GOD! Why do you have to waste so much money into buying a doll that has enough price to get yourself an iPad2 you we're dreaming about!?" :o

I was like "Computers have been my life, but now that i know about BJDs, it's like water, like bread like air can't live now without having one." :|

15. My entire family just despises all my dolls, they're always telling my that they're ugly or either I'm way too old for dolls and that I should be ashamed (I'm only 18). My mom even told me that my doll collecting could scare off my boyfriend! It's ridiculous, I don't make fun of them for their hobbies and I feel that they should respect mine.

16. My dad immideatly started calling David a girl. >.< I know he's a Kid Delf, and not very masculine, but please... Then again, I do tend to want to dress him in dresses, so... ^^;;

17. My husband has always been supportive of my doll habit thankfully. He's even begun collecting himself.
      My 2 daughters have their small collections of dolls and are very careful at doll meets not to touch other
      folks' dolls. Having the dolls has been very therapeutic for me with all of the stresses in my life and my family sees them as the perfect "cure." for my blues.

18. I think my family humour me, although my mum is slightly interested in the clothes as she used to be a 'human' dressmaker and is fascinated by how people can make such tiny clothes with such intricate detail. My brothers think I'm a fruitcake but are slightly interested in the photography side of things. And like Jane towards the beginning of this thread, my husband would have a heart attack if he knew how much they cost! Mostly, they just leave me to get on with it.

19. Initial reaction was "Ahahahaha what? 500 dollars for a doll? Just look at the pictures and you'll be satisfied."

But I kept at them, and started off by collecting cheap clothes from the marketplace, and having them actively participate in choosing my first. My mom warmed up to them when she saw Homme Ducan. *cheers*

Then my dad took an interest after he saw a little pair of combat boots I bought. He thought they were ridiculously cute and well-made. xD

20. I was actually introduced by my friend, who had gotten a chocolate BBB Ju and normal BBB elfkin. I immediately fell in love and was set on getting my own. Fortunately, my mother was supportive and bought me my darling Sunsoo Hin :aheartbea (white BBB Mei), so I'm pretty lucky. I don't go around telling everyone about my hobby, but the friends I have told think it's cool (they just aren't interested enough to get their own, sadly :(). My brother just ignores it, like he does most of my interests. My dad doesn't know about Sunsoo, seeing as he's half-way around the world, but I don't think he'd mind either. :)