1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How did you discover the BJD hobby?

Apr 8, 2011

1. I was wondering how did all of you find out about BJD and fall in love with these lovely dolls? I bet many have interesting histories and I'm looking forward to reading all of them : )

In my case it happened several years ago, a friend linked me to a BJD site telling me she wants one, I was way too young to have had so much money so it sank down into the jar-of-things-i-want-to-have but I guess it never really left my mind, later when I entered High School I found my best friend, and apparently she's also always wanted one. As my closest friend was so fond of these, I guess I felt like I could finally go for it, what happened next is that we found a doll that be both fell in love with, and now we are purchasing twins : )

What's your story? :)

2. I looked at them as well when I was younger (13 I think) and forgot about them. Two years ago I met my best buddy (blaknite) and she carried her dolls around school. I was one of very few who found them creepy and spent a lot of time talking to her about it. I now own one resin doll, one Hujoo, and my Little Apple Doll (my mother thought it was so creepy she bought it for me :D ). I have a steadily growing list since I'm still pretty new, but I love every minute of it.

3. : ))) Heh I see, isn't our stories a tiny bit similar? : D
      The Little Apple Doll are just wonderfully creepy :--D In a cute way

4. Mine is hardly interesting....

But I am new to the hobby. I saw on deviantART, my favorite artist had made one of her characters into a BJD... It looked so cool! I was intrigued... But no more.
      I continued to see them on several sites and such so I got more and more drawn into it.

So half a year ago I was bored and went to a company site to see what they had to offer... and now I am stuck! I am currently waiting to find means to afford my first one. :)

5. Heh, well sure that's interesting, so you were inspired by an artist : ))
      What kind of doll is it that you're saving for?

6. I somehow came across a BJD online somewhere somehow and I was intrigued. Thought the price scared me so I stopped looking. Less than two years later, I got into collecting Pinky Street dolls, then blythes... and now I'm really into getting my first BJD!! I've been constantly looking at different websites for different sizes and there are too many that it's hard for me to pick one. I initially wanted to get an MSD cause and SD sized one is sooooo huge to me BUT surprisingly I found one that I'm in love with but it's going to cost me about 450++

7. Yeah... I sort of find it odd though.

A Kid delf from Luts..!

8. But hey if it's an SD sized doll, it's gonna be worth it :--D Hope you'll be able to get it soon!

9. Those are cute : ) good luck!

10. Whenever I am seriously procrastinating from university work, I spend time on Etsy browsing the treasuries. I never buy anything but I love how the curators put together the different items. One of them featured an outfit modelled by a pukifee Ante doll and I remember thinking she was the prettiest little thing I'd ever seen! I found Fairyland's website and a few days later I ordered my first doll. While I was waiting for her I spent time browsing forums and different BJD company websites, and the interest has sort of grown from there.

11. That's so random, I have a little Apple Doll too! Nothing to do with how i discovered BJDs though, i found that one in a 'Forbidden Planet' store one day yeeeears ago, while shopping and had to have it. :sweat

It was completely unrelated, I stumbled across BJDs on Deviant Art in january... I think I just spotted the photograph on the main page, it was an Elfdoll Aurora Soah doll (It's still on my favourites!) photographed by Dieux-Faux, who I never spoke to or contacted or anything, but if you're here, thank you! :D... I read the FAQ and followed a few links, did a fair bit of research and looking at all the different companies, and ended up ordering my first doll in feb, a Tiny Fairy Kitten Louis... She arrived just over a week ago and she's absolutely incredible, so happy :)

12. I've been a doll lover, collector and maker practically since birth. I started with baby dolls and Strawberry Shortcake and moved to American Girls and Barbie (Barbie, for me, was all about THE CLOTHES!!! I wish I still had my collection of Barbie clothes!). Throughout college and beyond, I always had some dolls displayed around my room, and then I discovered art dolls.

I was an art major in college and sculpting is a huge, huge passion of mine. Discovering Beth Robinson and her Strange Dolls launched me into a voyage of doll making and doll discovery. From Beth, I sought out other art doll artists and somehow found Zombukis, which led me to Pullips, which led me to BJD. In between all that, I made my own art dolls and helped found an online group of art doll artists that now has 100 members! I'm no longer a part of the group, but it's pretty cool to have been one of the founding four who set everything up. The rest, as they say, is history!

13. All of your stories are really interesting to read : D I like how everyone has their own, personal path that led them to BJD :3

14. There was a secret on fandom secrets (a livejournal community) about them being creepy, so I looked them up. I then googled for African or black BJDs because I wanted to get one to be Piper from Storm Hawks (frakking Spinmasters (toy company) decided not to release her because girl figures don't sell, they released all the rest of the members of her team plus a lame secondary villain (if they're going to release a secondary villain why oh why couldn't it have been Repton? He's far cooler than Snipe) but none of her) and found Iplehouse.

Now I'm planning on getting Benny in rosewhite and having her customised (modding ears and dyeing green) to be Stork and Piper's non-canon daughter.

15. Oh I can't wait to see that : )))

16. Of all the places to discover BJDs I first saw one at a convention in 2008 called NarutoTrek (yes that exactly what your thinking, A Naruto & Star Trek Convention) for what ever reason the doll artist Lady Sayuki was there with her dolls in the dealers room and later she hosted an Into to BJD panel. Since I was curious I went and got to play with one there. Since at the time they were far too expensive for me i just looked at them longing me and then when on my way. About a year ago I made friends with someone who was in the hobby and she finally helped convince me to get my first doll. Now I have 5 lol

17. Is it sad if I think this sounds really cool?

18. Searching in the Internet for something else, but no matter how many times I try, I am never able to remember what it was. I found a photo of, by then, a curious type of doll which reminded me of myself. Relatives and friends who saw that picture thought so too and thanks to my mother's support and my parents' help that I could get her. Before her arrival I changed my mind about the character she would be. That change meant getting a whole crew of BJD. A couple of curious things about my story are nowadays even my mother has one and I saw that image of my first BJD in a different company she was sold in, the same company where I bought the last member of my troop.

19. I have no idea how I found them really.
      I cannot remember where or how but I saw Fairyland's Woosoo Vampire Elf Boy. I thought, "awww cute", and kept checking him out every couple of days (looked at other dolls too but I never really liked them as much as I did him. This was maybe 2 years ago? Can't quite remember. I really wanted to actually hold and see a bjd before I bought one. Made plans to go to the Ldoll festival (even asked Winddolls if they could bring the FL vampire elf boy woosoo), that didn't work out. Made plans to go to a meet in England, that didn't work. I gave up and didn't look at BJDs for a while.

All of a sudden, just revisiting DoA, I find a thread about a meet in Vienna, where I live! Thanks to uldred I was finally able to meet BJDs!
      Thanks to Diddlypuff, NOT ONLY was I able to meet the sculpt I wanted, I got to carry him around and babysit him throughout the entire meet.
      I ordered my first BJD last month (unfortunately not the FL MNF VBE Woosoo - but I'll order him this month!) and I can't wait!

20. I first found out about them on Deviant Art as well. I found a picture it was very... obscure, most of the background was bleached out and covered majority of the model, but what you could see was the model's eyes and face, and the top torso. I thought the model and the style of the photo was really unique so I asked the artist about it.
      And she said, thats not a model, its my Abjd (I forget the model). Was creeped out a bit, cause of the realness... Then I found Danny Choo's website and over several of Articles there went from thinking they were creepy to wanting one.
      Now I have one. :D