1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you only like 'anime' style BJDS or more real-life human styled BJDs?

Dec 12, 2010

1. I'm not sure if this is the right place XD i searched the forums and didnt find any question exactly like this one. But Im wondering, do people prefer the more anime style BJDS like Luts, fairyland, B&G, etc or do they prefer the more mature real looking dolls like say what iplehouse, soom, or souldoll might carry? the ones that have more ..whats a good word for it...chiseled jaw, square face, smaller eyes, etc. sorry sometimes my english sucks when explaining something. these types of dolls remind me a lot of barbies but MUCH larger and more detailed and of course, ball jointed.

Personally I like both styles but if I had to choose I'd go for the more anime styled dolls with the bigger eyes and smoother features, what about you?

2. personally i like the more anime styled, mainly because i was really into that kind of thing when i was younger, and my drawing style today resembles a bit of an anime style. but i think that ALL dolls can be beautiful if done the right way, especially the more lifelike ones. :)

3. There was a similar topic to this somewhere (can't remember where tho so never mind ^_^)

I personally find myself infinitely more interested in the more realistic sculpts. I rather like some of Souldoll's girls, and I LOVE Iplehouse and Dollstown. For me, Dollmore is a good cross between stylized and realistic, and I'm a huge fan of theirs too. (Their dolls do tend to have smaller eyes though). I find the "Volks" aesthetic as I call it (with the O.O style eyes, and tiny mouth) a lot less appealing, just because it really says "doll" to me, rather than "character".

I used to be heavily into anime as a kid, but since I left for college (really around mid-high school) I haven't been into it at all. I guess the more anime styled dolls make me think of kid's toys because of that...

4. Well, I have the full range from an Angel Region Little Fair to an Iplehouse E.I.D., and like you said, they all have their good points. I think my preference lies somewhere in the middle, with dolls that are both detailed and stylized. I find them the most visually interesting.

Like Teruchan said, I think Dollmore strikes a good balance. I have three of them.

5. I like both, although with 'anime style', I think more of 'old school style' BJD's like the Volks Four Sisters and such, which I adore. I don't like a lot of 'nowadays' stylized/anime dolls, somehow they don't seem to have the same appeal as the classics, to me. I also don't like *too* mature or realistic dolls, meaning that I like looking at pictures of them, but they don't do anything for me personally. The dolls I like are the ones that are a little quirky and 'artist doll' ish, like Glorydoll, Alice in Labyrinth, Dollstown, some Leeke sculpts, some Souldolls, but I also like dolls like the Limhwa, Supia, Zaoll and Narin ones a lot, plus the 'oldschool' dolls like the Volks Lucai, Dive Seimei(<3 <3), older Luts dolls like Chiwoo and Soo..it's a certain 'feel' or certain points of interest that catch my fancy, I guess, rather than a style.

6. I have a bluefairy tinyfairy, and I think that they make dolls with a very beautiful hybrid of realistic to stylized. I don't think I really like the dollfie dreams since they stand too heavily on one style and aspect of anime. I have nothing against realistic dolls, I think they're also really beautiful in their own way but I prefer say Crobidoll, or like another person said Dollmore (especially Zaoll), I think they have a nice cross between the two.

7. ^ ^ its nice to read other peoples opinions. I love crobidoll and volks. i don't like the dolls that have the anime eyes by which i mean the ones shaped like sailor moon eyes if you know what i mean? like the letter U but upside down? no actuall place to put eyes in. but the other volks with the typical bjd eyes i love. i love iplhouse carina and asa, yur, but i think they might be too barbie like to fit into my BJD family. volks dolls do have smaller mouths XD but for my female chars that is fine as i also have a tiny mouth and big eyes. maybe i am a volks doll O_O lol B&G style dolls are my favourite i love those. if i got iplehouse or other such companys realistic dolls i may be tempted to but them on the barbie collection shelf ^ ^ just cause feature wise they , to me, they'd fit there. but be like 3-4 times the size ^ ^

8. I like them both, but I feel that my "anime" ones aren't that much anime compared to say a Pulip or Blythe. Just less human like by just a tad.

9. yes. i agree they aren't 'anime' i just couldn't think of a better word to describe them ^ ^ artsty? i guess. but then it feels like im calling the realistic ones not peices of art when they are! hmm i dont know a good word then. i guess fantasty stylized?

10. I greatly prefer more stylized dolls. I can appreciate some of the more realistic sculpts, but have no desire to own any. It was that stylized look that you just didn't see in other types of dolls that really drew me to abjds. The one exception to that is my minimees, but they're supposed to be portraits of real people.

Well, there is a sort of an anime connection, though. Volks made the first bjds and prior to that were making figure kids, and then other early companies had some similar stylistic features. Bjds aren't anime dolls persay, yet there is a certain amount of that influence in their roots. I also imagine that there will be some overlap between anime style and abjd style do to the fact that they come from the same area of the world. I have abjds that really do look like they could have stepped out of the pages of a manga (and of course there is variation amongst manga artists too). I personally just use the words stylized and realistic to describe them, as most people will understand what that means.

11. I think just "more stylized" is a good description.

Personally, a few years back I was really into the big-eyed animu drawings, and all of my characters had these massive saucers. However, as time went by, and as I got better at drawing... I noticed that the eyes I drew shrunk down from O.O to smaller, realistic eyes and personally now I like that SO MUCH more. On the flip side I developed a really O.O cartoony style. So I guess for me it's... either stylized all the way, like my tiny - tiny body, big head, ginormo eyes (I guess "chibi" is a good description for them), or more realistic. The extremes of the spectrum. I would totally love to own a Kinoko Juice doll, if I could afford one, or find one with a facial expression I like. But then I'm also seriously considering Iplehouse SID/EID and a few Sooms. The in-betweens, like SD's with eye-sizes 16mm and up with round cheeks and small chins and mature bodied do absolutely nothing for me. Like, sure they're pretty like all dolls, but I find them to be really uninteresting.

12. Really interesting ^ _ ^ I have a thing with eyes. I need them to express something, to show some soul, and be symetrical O_O I find the bigger eyed dolls show this as well as the ones with half closed eyes. but tiny eyes i find it harder to see the soul? i doubt im making any sense. to buy a doll I have to fall in love with its soul XD i find that happens for me more often with dolls that have interesting eyes

13. I foresee this discussion being pretty evenly split, since so many people love one or the other...
      Personally, I prefer realism, and as much of it as I can get in some cases, but every now and then, some more stylized doll really catches my eye. I personally like the doll like emphasis, as long is it isn't taken too far, ending up over the top. Those ones scare me a little... like this one, even though I'm sure other people would love her.

So, to each their own, and I'll keep an eye to see which way the community leans.

14. Anime is what brought me to larger dolls (from the 'fashion' variety) so I do prefer them. Dollfie Dreams are my favorite, with Obitsu 60cm girls next. Though I do have a CH Choa on the way because she reminds me of an anime character. :)

15. I like the Bluefairy/Minoruworld/U-noa style of sort-of anime more than either full-on Dollfie Dream-like Volks molds or reallistic IpleHouse dolls. I tend to make them up with anime-style upper eyelashes, too.

16. I think I like the more anime .mix. human-ish looking dolls : 3 I don't think I would buy any of the iplehouse dolls(even though I did like Iplehouse Tania once XD...), or molds similar to Volks Mimi or Volks Ryo. The most anime-ish I can deal with are the CP Delf/Fairyland dolls, and the most human I can deal with are SOOM, and Dollshe dolls XD but then again...a flattering face-up can always change my mind 8"D hehe...

17. I think I prefer my dolls more stylized in one way or another: big eyes or small eyes (say, my Volks girls or my Secretdoll Yomo vs my Domadoll Cooki and her tiny peepers), or other distorted proportions (my Pippitan), etc. To me, my Volks girl is the embodiment of a true "doll" to me, in that classic sense of a girl having that absolutely special doll all through growing up, a notion that seemed a bit lost with the popularity of Barbie in the 80s when I grew up--plastic and metallic and glitter and trends--nothing had a timeless, heirloom feel like these dolls can offer. So yeah, I guess I like them to be like dolls, not tiny resin people ;)

18. I like both. It really depends on the character I want to shell. Yumeko (see sig) is a little complicated -- she's from an anime fanfic of mine, so while she's the daughter of an anime character, I went with a more human-looking company when I decided to shell her (DZ, though some say it's one of the more anime-ish companies), partly because I wanted to see what she'd look like if she were real, plus I liked the look of DZ's tan resin. Rika IS an anime character so I went with shelling her in a Mini Dollfie Dream body. My husband thinks the more realistic ones are creepy-looking (though he indulges me when it comes to Yumeko) and highly prefers the look of Dollfie Dreams. I let him have his opinion, and he lets me have mine.

It's not wrong to prefer one or the other, or both. People like what they like.

19. I really can't choose between the two, specially i'm basing more on my own characters. Some tend to me more anime styled and some have realistic features. So at times I like anime styled dolls {specially if they are from some anime that I love} but then comes a time when I like realistic looking dolls.

20. I like a happy medium, personally...I don't mind a stylized face, so long as it's recognizable as a human being (or an elf, faerie, whathaveyou~). I do tend to find myself leaning toward some of the more realistic sculpts these days (Iplehouse Carina keeps trying to worm her way into my heart, and the Soom monthlies already own me..xD). Crobidoll, Soom, Iplehouse and Souldoll are some of my favorite companies.