1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Fairyland PukiPuki vs Felixdoll Brownie

May 7, 2010

1. Hello hello! I've been trying to decide on a tiny and I thought I'd jump in here and ask opinions from people who own one. Right now I'm leaning towards the Felixdoll Brownie because of price - a full set Brownie is $150, whereas a basic (no faceup, no anything) PukiPuki is $138. But I wanted to be informed about both dolls before I made my decision. Thus -

Some questions for owners of PukiPukis and Brownies:

How do the joints compare? I've seen a comparison photo and it looked like they were pretty similar, but I know looks can be deceiving. All of the mobility shots of both brands show good poseability. Has anyone found a notable difference between the Brownie and the PukiPuki?

Since Brownie is cheaper, is there a marked difference in the quality of the resin?

Just in general, are you happy with your doll (PukiPuki or Brownie)? Are there any quirks or small imperfections (hard to pose, loose joints, etc)?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you all. <3 Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. oh wow! can't wait to see everyone's thoughts ;)

i can't comment on Brownies (mainly because the company has been going thru some major shadiness lately making the order process tentative) but i am a Puki lover and i must say i :aheartbea pukipuki. FLs manufacturing is top notch for sure. the flexibility and poseability is amazing and i, personally, have had no problems/can find no faults :) and the company also is A+

good luck

3. Hi LunaCat,
      I have 4 Puki and 2 Brownies + 2 Small Comforts (the tiny baby by Felixdoll).
      Their joints are different and Brownies pose better in some respects, but then you've seen those comparisons.
      Puki have magnetic hands and feet that can come off rather easily. Very annoying when trying to do a photoshoot, but great when you want to change clothes.
      Brownies have a totally different system for putting on hands, BUT it's not easy and therefore I rarely change them because I'm afraid to break the tiny joint, but they don't come off at the drop of a hat!
      Puki feet hold them in place firmly when using the metal plate as they have magnets in their tootsies.
      Brownies sometimes need help, but they can still stand on one leg and do all sorts of cute poses.
      Brownies have heads with magnets, so easy to pop off a head, change to another or just to redress them without messing up the wig. I personally love this feature. I swap heads with my Small Comforts and Brownies. Fun!
      Pukis have magnetic face plates. Great for changing faces, but you have to remove the wig, change faces, then put the wig back on. Not so quick and easy, but great fun. I have one particular Puki - Rolo, who has many faceplates in his unique style so he can show many varied emotions.
      I've had a very kicky Puki, but no trouble with any of my Felixdolls.

In the end, I can't decide between them. I love them both. Get the one you love the most as their faces are all so different.

4. I have a Brownie 3.0 with a full set of extra hands as well as 4 Pukis. The Brownie has much better flexibility and the hands don't fall off. The head attachment is so convenient for dressing and the eye holder makes eye changing very simple. The magnetic wig attachment sounds great (I don't have a real Brownie wig). However, the Brownie does not have the lovely body-line that the Pukis do. The Pukis always look graceful to my eye and fall easily into a natural pose while the Brownie seems clumsy and needs to be carefully positioned into a pose. The Pukis are like little ballerinas with "pretty feet" and graceful hands. I also prefer the variety of puki faces that are so different from one another.

5. i have 12 Pukis, and one Brownie. I love the Puki faces and super posing..the Brownie, not so much. Like Genie said, the Pukis practically pose themselves-the Brownies need help.

6. I have a Puki and had a Brownie. While I loved the posability of my brownie, I really hated the kickyness his arms seemed to have and it was hard to get them to look natural when posed, which I hated struggling with. While his head attachment was convenient it fell off rather easily, which did not work for me since I like to carry my tinies around. Remember though each doll is different :). His hand attachments also scared me a bit and I preferred the Puki's more expressive hands. He also felt lighter in comparison to my puki. All in all there wasn't anything -wrong- with him, I just preferred my Puki's aesthetics over him despite the fact he posed so well :) It did take a struggle for me to decide which one to keep but my Puki won over despite the fact she's unable to do the poses the Brownie couldn't.

This thread helped me a lot when I was looking on which one to get first: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?298809-Brownie-VS-Puki&highlight=brownie+puki

7. I do believe there are hybrid options...do a search...I know the moccasin skin doesn't work but the bisque might. I think white does too. I'm considering one of the new Brownies myself.

8. My brownie was one of the batch with crazy makeup, dark blush but still cute.
      My pukipuki sugar is secondhand and so cute.
      I'm no expert on the mechanics but the fairyland faces are cuter but yet there are a couple brownies I'd love to have.
      That said...........

There have been problems with customers getting their dolls from Felix or whoever in the heck is making them now.
      Personally I won't order till they get their house in order and can deliver in a reasonable time frame.
      There are threads in "incoming doll" and "news chat" that will give you the basic info.
      I'd really suggest doing some research before making a decision.
      (If you decide on Brownie ordering from Karin would be my advice.
      She is super!)

MaggieMay

9. Wow, that's certainly a lot of good info! Thank you all for responding.

Valli - 8 tinies! You have a small army going there! I'm quite jealous. ;) When you say the Brownie hands are attached oddly, is it possible to completely unstring the doll without breaking it? I'd be worried about spraying with MSC if the doll was still strung, because knowing my luck it would junk up the joints. I suppose I could just skip blushing, though, since the Brownies come with a faceup.

Genie and sweetiemom - I agree that the PukiPukis are very graceful and seem quite easy to pose...I don't think I've ever seen a bad picture of one of those little cuties.

twylight - Thank you so much for that link! It was very helpful! I like seeing the side by side comparison of the two dolls. I think I have to admit that the PukiPuki is a more aesthetically pleasing sculpt, though I like the double joint in the Brownie's elbows.

costlyhobby and MaggieMay - I had no idea that Felixdoll was going through some issues right now. Thank you for giving me the heads up before I went and bought a doll! I'll definitely check out the other threads to see what's going on. Maggie, who is Karin? (Sorry if this is a n00b question, I've been out of the BJD community for a while)

And another question - Several people mentioned the PukiPuki hands coming off easily...has anyone ever lost one on accident? If you have your doll in, say, your pocket or a small bag, will the hands come off just from the friction of the fabric?

Thank you again for your help. :D Oh, and I was wondering if there was a thread specifically for comparing face sculpts? I looked around a little but didn't see one, and I didn't want to start a new thread if there was already one going.

10. No problem, you're welcome, it helped me immensely. The double joint in the arm and in the torso is -so- nice. I wired my Brownie in the arms to keep his elbows from 'slipping' into a bent position when I didn't want them too and it worked like a charm.
      I've never lost one of my Puki hands, but I am very careful and don't normally stick her in my pocket. She is packed around in a little sunglass case for protection when I take her places and i know a few others do the same (I know because I stole the idea from them ;)) I'm not to worried about losing her hands, even though I am careful not to, because they're pretty easy to replace. Thinking about it I don't ever remember being overly careful about how-when her hands come off, they rarely do, but then again I do try to be aware of her hands..hmm odd...

I don't think there is a comparison thread for face-sculpts but here's a link to my old Brownie Yoyo and a Puki Sugar. Oddly their mouth and nose seemed very similar to me. I'm sure I have more laying around with a profile picture...
      http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4010/4437039948_f04b2f0551_b.jpg

and here are some amateur super close-ups of my old Brownie for you ^_^ Ignore the wonky eye, brownies have a really clever and somewhat useful eye holder inside them, that on my brownie made his one eye all wonky.
      http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/4436190231_98b024a980_b.jpg
      http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2763/4436218253_abe4717618_b.jpg

11. twylight - A sunglasses case! What a nifty idea! I never would have thought of that, but it seems like a great way to carry a tiny around. Your Puki is adorable, btw. <3

Maggie - Thank you for the link! I'll make sure that if I get a Brownie I order it from Karin, although after reading through those other threads I'm a little wary. I might have to sit on this for a while and see how the Felixdoll fiasco turns out.

And then after I decide which brand to go with, I'll still have to pick a head sculpt! O_o Sometimes I wish I wasn't so indecisive.

12. I have 1 of every Puki & have never lost any hand or foot. Sure the magnets get loose once in a while but a dab of super glue gel & it's fine. I use the pillows I've gotten from my fullset Pukis or I use hard case pencil cases from the Sanrio store to transfer them about.

I also have 3 Brownies as well. They are cute in their own right and their range of motion and posing is a bit better but I still prefer Puki. I can never get my Brownies to do what I can my Pukis to do. Pukis seem better balanced to me and offer a greater variety of faceplates to find the one that fits you best.

13. Hmmm, ok, here's my two cents and a little extra.

I have six brownies and one puki.

I loved my brownies right off; even the ones with wonky faceups, they were so expressive. They don't balance so well as a puki, but they are SO incredibly posable. They have double-jointed elbows and knees, greater neck motion, and an extra torso joint making certain poses easy that aren't possible with pukis.

Pukis have a more aesthetic body line and superior balance, but IMHO are less posable. The whole notch-thing in the hip joint makes me frustrated in trying to pose them, and the puki I have, the knees pop out of place frequently. Puki have adorable hands and feet and their feet point better than a Brownie's, but they do have a tendency to get lost. The magnet system for brownie heads makes head-swapping easy, and clothing doesn't have to have a back closure or huge neck to be pulled on. It's only been lose enough to fall off if I lost the magnet, which of my six has only happened once in about a year. I put the magnet back in, sans glue, and it's held just fine, nice and firm, ever since.

I have used the brownie magnet wigs, and they are a dream. From day one, no problem ever with them falling off. Even the really stiff fiber wigs strong enough to stand on their own, it keeps a firm hold even with the brownie's weight pulling against it. Sadly, Brownie heads have a smaller circumference than a puki's, so the Brownie wigs I have were a little too narrow to stay unaided on a Puki head - they all popped off.

When my puki arrived, I was surprised how unenthusiastic I was, especially about the hip joints. I looked her over, shrugged, and put her down, and picked up one of my Brownies instead.

Each doll has benefits and weaknesses. I would like to try hybridising them sometime - more than just a headswap, I'm wondering if it's possible to swap out the hand and feet ball joints so I can use puki hands and feet on a brownie body. I think that would make a brownie just about perfect!

Oh, and a little something neat I've learned: the magnet for the Brownie eye mechanism is in the center of the forehead, perfect place for, say, a unicorn horn?? :D

14. There´s already been very much great comparisons, I may not have much to add but as I´ve had both of the dolls I can tell my opinion, too.

I love the Puki faces so much more than Brownies (though they´re cute, too), but have to say, Brownie´s body worked better for me. Both of them pose very nicely, but after comparing them in use, I felt Puki body a bit clumsy. I sold my Brownie´s head and kept the body for Multihead, and compared the bodies mostly with the Multihead as I´ve got two of them. For sure I liked Brownie body more in that combination, even still the head is looking a bit too big on both of the bodies. Brownie bodies make great hybrids.

I must admit there were lots of problems and unsureness with the Brownie maker company, but mine arrived just fine.

I think best advice I can give for you is that you look photos a lot and decide which you like most. They actually are very similar dolls and the differences are very small - mostly it is, which head you like better.

15. Hi!

I have Zeppelin Brownie and pukipuki Pipi. I bought Zep first and I wish I'd buy pukipuki instead. Actually I am waiting on my second puki Darjeeling.

I HATE how Zep bend his arms. There is a hole in the elbow, like a little piece is missing. And he tends to bend his hands a lot.
      His face is not so pretty like puki's. I bought him cheap for $88 fullset plus $14 shipping. I would never pay more money for a brownie.

So, for me, PUKIPUKI definitely! :)

16. twylight linked that thread a few posts up, Naoto XD

I took a Brownie and a Puki to a company dinner last night (was boring, so I needed something to fiddle with). Everyone thought both were cute, but when it came to ease in posing, the ladies found Brownie much easier to work with.

17. I have a Puki and used to have a Brownie. The face on my Puki Darjeeling just can't be beat. My Brownie Ravi did pose just as well just didn't have the same visual appeal I was looking for. I do have a Brownie Small Comfort still and just love her, she is just a baby however....probably not what you are asking about.

18. Thank you all again for the great insights! I really appreciate everyone's comments, it's been a big help. It seems like both dolls have their strong and weak points, and I guess at the end it comes down to personal preference...I'll be taking a closer look at the head sculpts and see if I can't find a favorite that way. Although I'll probably end up owning one of each eventually!

Tiny BJDs are like an addiction. XD