1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Tote Many at a Meetup or Convention?

Dec 30, 2009

1. As usual, I looked and couldn't find anything on this subject, but if there is a thread or a better place for it I apologize and please let me know XD.

Anyhoo.

First of all, I've only ever been to one Dollectable and one Gogadoll convention. I've never been to a meetup (can't find any close enough to my current locations), but I think this still applies to meetups. When I first went to Dollectable I had a 60cm SD and a Orient Doll So Dong. Needless to say these were very easy to carry around and I had a great time trying things on them. The next year I'd added a a 70 cm doll and only took her to the meet with me. Also a god time, but I kept finding things I'd wished I had my other dolls around so they could try it on.

Now I have 7 bjd of various sizes (from the itty bitty Orient Doll to my hulking mass of Iplehouse E.I.D) and I realize that if I want to go to a meet I have to either take one or two I can carry around, or find some other means of toting them. Especially at conventions with tons of vendors with stuff for all sizes, I want to be able to bring all of my dolls and keep them around for trying on things. Plus, having one's whole family around while spending time with other collectors is very appealing to me. At both conventions I saw a girl with a fantastic red wagon stuffed full of dolls, but I don't have quite that many yet and I imagine it's a little hard to maneuver through crowds (not to mention the difficulty in keeping an eye on them over your shoulder as you walk around.)

So. Is it better to force yourself to only bring around one or two dolls at a time, or are there good ways of bringing most or all of your family with you when you go to these places?

Personally I've considered customizing a baby stroller (one of the cheaper fold up kind) but I don't know if that would be considered hokey or ridiculous to bring to a meet.

Edit: I intended this thread to talk about ways of carrying several large dolls or bunches of dolls around meets so that they can be seen and interacted with without unpacking them from something. I appreciate the tips on how to get the dolls there, but there are already carrying cases sold for dolls and various ways of shipping or packing them in luggage containers for travel. Thanks :D

2. I don't have enough to need this, but several people in my area use wheeled suitcases or craft organizers to bring their dolls to meetups. The wheeled craft organizers seem to be more popular than suitcases, although I am not sure why--maybe someone who uses them can inform you. :3

3. I have a bunch of friends with TONS of dolls. they use a baby stroller and decorate them really cool and stack their kids all in em. so its a thought :D

4. A lady I know takes her dolls in a modified rolling suitcase thing. Dollmore also sells a rolling dollcase for 2 or more dolls. Two of my three dolls are 65-70cm, so those items are out for me, but I'm working on restoring an old coffin-style violin case to tote them around in. :)

5. Remove their heads and transport them in a rolling suitcase. I can fit all of my dolls into mine. Not that I ever take all of them out together, but it is possible to do it.

6. I have a Volks carry-case which is meant for one doll but I've found I can stuff two SDs in there (which is handy!) which goes across my back, then I can fit two SDs in a seated position in my Dollmore dual carrier (and 2-3 Yo-SDs can be strapped in across my bigger guys' legs quite safely) which goes over one shoulder. So if I'm in a really masochistic 'muscles-aching-the-next-day' mood I can carry six or seven dolls to a meet at once with just two fairly nondescript bags that don't draw attention from anyone on the way to and from the place :)

7. DollMore has a LARGE bag that will hold a variety of sizes. I now am lucky enough to have 2, but the last meet when we only had 1 of them, I took: 1-60cm male, 1-58cm female in full dress goth loli w/petticoats, a 43cm-female, 2 anthropomorphic dolls( 1-fox & 1 otter) and a Soom Glot - 28cm. Everyone was cozy and arrived nicely. Now with 2 large bags, it will be less cramped, but mine will have 1-60cm male, 1-60cm female, 1-43cm female, 1-28cm female and 2 anthro's. His will have: 1-60cm female, 1-58cm female, 1-50cm female, 1-28cm female. All the dolls are dressed and some small props or accessories will be packed too.

- ShadowHawke -

8. When I go to meets, I pack up all my dolls into carrying cases and take them out when I get there.

The conventions I go to are anime conventions, in that case I pack them all up, but only carry one around with me to show off.

If I was going to a doll convention, and like you say, wanted to have them all to try on clothes, and have them easy to take out and easy to carry, I would go with a rolling suitcase.

9. These are all awesome suggestions! CheapNeasy: That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, since I couldn't bear for my doll's backdrop to be Sponge Bob or Barbie XD

10. A friend of mine uses a rolling suitcase. I have several SD carriers though & can fit 2 SDs in each plus a number of tinies around the sides. Usually I just take two carriers or less to meet-ups but when I'm doing programs I take all three, 6 SDs, 2 MSDs & a number of tinies depending on how big they are. It easily works out to 15 or more dolls.

11. Rolling suitcase and alot of blankets :) ! I just got to lazy and now my big kids barley get to leave home because they weigh a ton!.

12. Right now, two live with me, an SD and a tiny. When we go to where the rest of the family is I carry Yoru, and Yoru carries Sage. ^_^; But if Korin's with me too, well...he ends up rolled in fabric and stuffed in a backpack. Simply put, I can't see carrying ALL my dolls around to events, once I have them. I'd pick a couple that are related to each other to bring with me to events. And when I get my Dollzone 70cm....it is very, VERY unlikely he will ever leave the house. ^_^;

However, I really like the idea of using a craft organizer as a doll carrier! LOTS of pockets to tote extra accessories in!

13. I have two. And SD and an MSD. I bring both to meet ups but I don't bring them to cons(since I've got enough crap already). Nobility sent my body in a carrier rather than a box so I somehow manage to squish both dolls in there. I also have a rolling suitcase but it's too small for the SD ""OTL

14. I'm looking for options for how to carry 3 MSDs and an SD. Ideally, it'd be nice if I could get them all (or most) into one bag. Any ideas?

I've seen the Dollmore sitting one, facing each other. I like it, but I'd love to see what else there is out there. :D

15. You may want to look around at bags & cases that are meant to carry camera equipment - like tripod cases & light kit cases. I found a really awesome one on eBay that is about 26 x 10 x 10 inches that was about the same price as an inexpensive 1-doll BJD bag. While I only have 2 SDs & a Tiny right now, I'm quite sure that AT LEAST 4 SDs could fit in their comfortably. If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll find the link on eBay for you.

16. I saw a bag on TV the other day.. Its not a doll carrier.. But it seemed perfect. I think it was called like "the rest n go" or whatever.. I remember thinking "Wow.. that would be perfect for a doll carrier, I could take a few dolls, pack accesories, my camera, and even my laptop if I wanted." I wish I could remember the exact name so I could look it up online, but my memory is horrible.

17. I have the Carrier Bag for Delf (Large) from Luts, and it is able to fit 2 SDs, 2 MSDs, and 2 tinies without much trouble. It also has two outside pockets and several mesh zippered pockets on the inside. I absolutely love it.

18. Camera equipment bags are a good idea (I didn't think of that). I have 1 Yoga bag right now, but it can't hold all of them + it's not strong enough. I kind of like the luts one actually (if I wanna get another long bag).

Ideally I'd prefer a bag that isn't looooong (I knock over stuff like mad D:), but I'm sure I'm not the only person needing a larger bag. I've seen the rolling around kind of cases, but those tend to be dangerous since people trip on them (can't see em).

19. Look at diaper bags lol I have a Hello Kitty bag that's meant to be a diaper bag and it's perfect for hauling around several dolls. I can fit about 3 SDs and a few smaller dolls in there, and there's pockets for smaller stuff.

20. I've been known to use small suitcases, myself. Four SDs and plenty of padding in my big one. :)

DollZone carriers are roomy too. I actually managed to fit one Mecha Angel, one MSD, and one TeenyGem in there with padding. ^.^