1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Correlation of Size and Price

Aug 15, 2008

1. I don't know if there has been a thread like this. I searched and didn't find much of anything similar...

Last night, I was playing around with my DOC Too when my mom asked me, "Where is the big one?" I up until a week ago, I had a 63cm DOT T. Lahoo AOD hybrid. I told her that I traded him for another DOC.

She was really suprised and said "But he is so much smaller! You got ripped off!" I tried to explain to her that size doesn't = value in terms of BJDs. There are $300 SDs out there as well as $500 YO-SDs. I told her that even though the particular doll I had traded for was a good 20cm shorter, he is nearly equal in value.

For some reason, none of my family can wrap their head around this. When I told my brother how much I was paying for my Pipos Sugar Robin, he said "But she's the same price as your Too and she's 1/3 the size! That's not a good deal!"

I used to feel that tiny dolls should have tinier prices but now I really don't think that at all. I think the price should reflect the quality, creativity, and overall look of the doll, not just the size.

Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?
      Do you think smaller dolls should be less expensive? Why or why not?
      Would you pay more for a smaller doll than a bigger doll?

2. I agree. Although at first the prices of the YoSD's for resale made me feel a bit uneasy. having one now i realize they are worth it! everything about him is lovely and i dont regret the money one bit! and my in-line MSD is less than half of what i payed for him but different companies charge different its just part of the buisness

3. Smaller scale items are a lot more difficult to sculpt, sew, mold and manufacture. Pricing is based on two factors: cost to produce and demand. While there may be less resin in a smaller doll, there was probably a lot more time and effort invested into making it.

Materials may have to be altered for structure or scale, and there is often a higher degree of failure when making miniature items.

4. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?

Somewhat, just because it takes more resin to make a large doll, but there are less expensive big dolls and more expensive smaller dolls. I think labor costs probably add to the price, depending on where the doll is manufactured, and the quality of the doll being made.

Yes, and generally speaking, they are (at least from the same company), but I also think it would be easier to sculpt a big doll than a little one.

Absolutely, if I preferred a smaller doll. My most expensive dolls, inch for inch (or centimeters), are probably my Secretdoll Baby Fairies ($300. for a four inch tall doll).

5. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?
      Umm... A little bit, though there's overlap for the prices of like a higher end MSD to an lower end SD and such (and limited editions kind of throw a monkey wrench into it). Stuff within one company, the SD is more expensive than the MSD than the Tiny.

I kind of assume they should be cheaper, less resin? But I guess smaller scale is also harder to work with... seeing as my mom is like "mmm... NO" whenever I ask her about sewing doll-scale stuff (she sews cosplays great).

I know there are reasons why a smaller doll could cost more than a bigger doll, but tinies just don't feel like a good value in my head because at my basest instinct I assume small should be cheaper. >_> Though Pipos is starting to drag me into the "maaaaayybbbeeee I'll get one someday" but for the most part seeing tinies reach prices near that of MSDs that I like kind of makes me go "same price, less height?! *_*" It doesn't seem to bother me as much when a MSD has a price similar to an SD though. Weird. I think it might be that the height gap between SD and MSD is not as big as MSD and tiny.

6. I think that prices and sizes of BJD's are correlated, in general, but it is not a strong correlation as there are MANY exceptions. I do think that smaller dolls should be less expensive, since they require less resin and materials to make. However, the amount of labor is the same or more, so I don't expect the decrease in price to be relative to the decrease in size, if that makes any sense.

And I certainly would pay more for a smaller doll than a bigger doll, if I really loved the smaller one! . . . though I sure do have a lower relative price limit for tinies. $1000 for an SD? Possibly. For a tiny? Heck no! I admit that price is a huge stumbling block for me though when it comes to buying tinies. Which is probably why I don't have one. >.< I adore Pukis and Pipos Fennec fox but they are relegated to the very bottom of my "dolls to aquire" list because of their price. Strangely, I don't seem to have that problem with Yo-SD size . . . probably because I've briefly owned one and loved the size and sculpting so much. They're like tiny works of art. :aheartbea

7. The only doll pricing that I find odd is the Kid Delf and the Honey Delf. The Honey Delf is only $2-5 less than the Kid Delf, despite the fact that Kid is MSD size, and Honey is YO size. I agree with the fact that the smaller ones are more difficult to sculpt, but I think there couldbe at least a $20 difference or so. *shrug* The Kid Delf is pretty inexpensive, compared to similarly sized dolls and even the other dolls on Luts. Maybe thats why.

8. *is such a doofus; wrote a long response and then navigated away from the page and lost it ;_;*

First Question: Kind of. There's a lot more that factors into a doll's cost than materials; the raw resin for an SD-size doll is only worth about $100 (or was it $50? I forget.) First, BJD peeps tend to value detail and artistry, and expect the quality of sculpting, painting and engineering on their smaller dolls to live up to their expectations just as much as that of larger dolls. Then there's quality control and careful manufacturing, which I would hope is the same for MSD as it is for SD o.o It's the same as quality MSD clothes costing almost the same as quality SD clothes - they require less material, but the same amount, or possibly more, of everything else (labor, attention to detail, etc.) Finally there's other stuff... companies may wish to charge higher prices for the sake of prestige and whatnot (like Seitenshis... Volks wants them to be rare and special, so they release a minimal amount and thus the price is very high; plus, one-offs all have similar prices regardless of size.) Meanwhile more and more small, new companies are introducing low-cost dolls or starting off with a dramatic saleprice in order to get off the ground.

Second Question: Nnnot necessarily, but it kind of makes sense for them to be within a company (and in most cases this is true).

Third Question: In the future, it looks like I might have to. I'm finding myself increasingly drawn to a certain mini, and while I won't be getting another doll for quite a while, if ever (I'm able to afford it, but my parents would probably be a little sad on the inside even if they didn't say anything, and I really care about their feelings), if I do buy her she'll cost more than my SD girl ^^;;; not wholly unexpected because I have one of the cheaper ones. It *is* bothering me a bit, because while I understand the cost, I come from a "get-your-money's-worth" sort of background... fortunately, I may be able to get her on sale sometime =) she'd still cost as much as my SD, but she'd be worth it.

9. What gets me is the prices of some of these limted tinies that come out... where a slightly different faceup (by the same people that do the basic ones as far as I know) and an outfit account for up to $150.

Not that I can say too much about the overpriced tinies... I have two Catsys... I think per square inch of resin the Elfdoll slender tines have to be the most expencive dolls out there. :sweat

It seems to be that the tinies also have some advatages over the big dolls. They are more portable, and lots of them seem to pose better... be it a lower center of balance or simply better joints.

Still all in all I would not pay as much for a tiny as I have paid for my larger dolls.... well, maybe if it was like absolutely perfect like they sucked the image out of my head and turned it into reality.

Resin.... crack is cheaper... :|

10. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?
      To an extent. A bigger doll means more resin, more mold-making supplies, more fabric if it comes with an outfit, and all of that. But since materials is only part of the equation, I can't say that size is the only factor in doll price. A Puki is one of the tiniest dolls out there, but it is sculpted and engineered with as much care as (and in many cases MORE care than) SD-sized bodies.

No, regardless of size they should be any price the manufacturer deems fair and profitable. Of course, the market will determine if it's actually worth that price :).

I won both my SD13 Amakusa and Yo-Tenshi Snow-White Yuh on Y!J. Their ending bids were exactly the same. I actually ended up paying more for my Yuh because the exchange rate was worse when I got her. So if I like the doll enough, sure!

11. I sort of tend to have a hard time getting around some high prices for littler dolls. I LOVE Pipos's Baha, but I can't wrap my head around paying that much. I feel the same about the other critter BJDs. I found an adorable tiny boy that I REALLY want, but, again, he's pricier then one of my 60 cm dolls. I mentally understand that price is determined by quality as well as many other factors, IE market's ability to absorb that price, but I just have a hard time paying out the big coin for the smaller dolls. I'll get over it though. I REALLY want that little boy, LOL.

12. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated? Yes, I do. In my experience, I have paid a small price for a tiny, a medium price for MSD and a larger price for an SD and this makes sense to me, reflecting not just on the weight of what you are getting for your money, but the bigger parts and engineering that go into that.

Do you think smaller dolls should be less expensive? Why or why not? I am in two minds about this. I think I paid a good, fair price for my tiny. To be fair, she is articulated for her size, but compared to a Puki, she is barely poseable at all. I think paying more for a Puki is fair, even though they are a whole 1cm smaller than my Bobobie, because the Puki is the better poser. I don't want to get into the China versus Korea argument, though, because I think this issue has less to do with where something is made and more to do with the creative process behind it.

Would you pay more for a smaller doll than a bigger doll? This really, really depends but I probably wouldn't. I have set my heart on a Bambicrony boy for a character that is very close to my heart and I am carefully weighing the prices. I will have this character one day, but probably on the secondary market, because at the moment I can't completely justify the price from new, considering I bought both MSDs for less than this doll+EMS shipping.

13. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?
      Yes

Up to a certain point I think they should be less expensive. Like I would expect an MSD to be cheaper than an SD since it does take less resin but the same amount of skill. The tinier sizes take a certain method to make and are overall more difficult so I could see them being about the same price for an MSD.

No.But most of the price increase that I see is on the second hand market. I don't really care because I'm not a fan of the anything smaller than an MSD.

14. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?
      Somewhat, and certainly within a single company's line they usually are. However, other factors are involved, particularly between different companies: workmanship, 'brand name' recognition, each company's individual pricing strategy, perceived 'exclusivity', etc.

Not necessarily. Working on a miniature scale is highly demanding and specialized. If pricing dolls by size made any sense, we would be buying them by the pound like ground pork.

Would and have - My Baha and my Puki are the most expensive dolls I own - and worth every penny, imho!
      Listen to Yoda!

15. Size can play a part to an extent, but there are other factors to such as standards vs LEs, and comparing across companies can be difficult (ex. Yo SD compared to an SD Bobobie) simply because companies vary so much in their pricing.

Don't forget that making something that's tiny and very highly detailed is not easy (it boggles my mind how they string some of those ity bity guys), and there's only so much the price is going to drop since prices are decided by more than just the amount of material used.

16. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?
      I think they are. More resins means more price. However I think the mold and the material play much more important role in pricing. May be the more famous brand cost more price, too.
      Well, depend on the mold and material^^". Anyway it should be more cheap that bigger dolls!
      If I like it I would^^. But it have to really really worth for it. I have to check on quallity of resins and the ability of posing.

17. I think the smaller dolls are okay being more expensive.
      Mostly because working with something to small takes such a patient hand, and so much longer.

18. In all honesty I wish all of the dolls were cheaper! lol. My 60cm bobobie boy was $250 (I overpaid shipping) Still, Yo-SD Dolls seem to have more options and customising that most other dolls. If you ask me, I would tell you price is determined by the amount of customisation done or able to be made to the doll.

19. For all of those who talked about how smaller dolls are more difficult to make, customize, and whatnot...I never thought of that! *facepalm* I can't believe i overlooked that. I know that I pesonally really don't like doing faceups on small dolls because it's hard to work on such a small scale. I can't even imagine how hard it was to sculpt Puki...

20. Do you think prices and sizes of BJDs are correlated?

I think they are. If you look at dolls from the same company and the same line within it (LEs, regular, kit, etc), I believe all the ones I have came across so far have this correlation, the smaller ones are less expensive than the large ones. Is there a company who price their dolls differently? The fact that some large dolls cost less than smaller ones is mostly due to the price difference between different companies.

I think most of them should be, that's how most things work in my experience. It takes less material, less space, and less equipments (in the sense that the molds and such for the smaller ones are smaller). The initial design may carry the same pricetag, but the acutal production thereafter should be less expensive. One reason that bjds are expensive compared to vinyl dolls is because of the resin, if that is a big factor of the pricetag, then the amount used should make a difference.

It would depend on the doll in question. If they are from the same company and the same line within it, then I don't think I would (unless it's a retired doll that I really, really love). If not, then I think it would be more about whether I would pay more for a doll from company A vs company B, or pay more for a LE vs a regular edition.