1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

How much sunlight do you allow your doll to get?

Feb 28, 2005

1. Hi everyone :daisy

The only place where I can keep my dolls is my small room under the roof, that has a very large window in it.
      Since it's a very small room, my dolls have to sit on the table in front of the window, there's no other place where I could keep them (or my cats will eat them up :oops: ).

Luckily, the sun hits my window directly only in the morning, until about 10 am (and I keep the shutter closed until that hour to protect my dolls).

Anyways, I wanted to know if keeping my dolls where they are now could be considered "in direct sunlight", and if that fact could damage my dolls' resin and make up.

Then, I wanted to know if humidity could damage resin and face ups as well, because here under the roof it's rather humid in autumn/winter, especially when it rains.

Many many thanks in advance for your very kind help,

all the best,

2. I can't give you a difinitive answer, but I tend to like to keep my dolls out of direct sunlight. Have you thought of trying to put a shade on your window?

as to your other questions, I wish I could tell you.

3. Thanks for your kind reply, Aimee :daisy :daisy

Yes, I have curtains on my window, but they're white and light-weight.

Anyway, the sun doesn't hit that window directly after 10 am, so maybe my dolls are not "in direct sunlight".

4. If you see sunlight getting in through your window and shining on your dolls--that's direct sunlight.

If there's a curtain and light gets in, but only through the curtain, then it's indirect... but if your dolls are right there by the window and the curtain is very thin, you might still be risking some UVs going through the curtain and hitting them. It's probably not as bad as being in direct sun, though. But not as good as being out of range of the sun coming through the curtains...

Direct sunlight will also fade fabric colors (clothes) and paints (as in some faceup color).

If you're moving your dolls about a bit and keeping curtains closed when the sun is coming into the window, you're probably doing okay--or at least only exposing them a little...

5. Thanks a lot for your very kind reply and info, April! :daisy :daisy

6. By the way, does anybody know if bright electric light might damage the BJDs' face ups?
      Please, let me know, thanks!

7. By 'shutter', do you mean the solid things with the slats? I know those don't cut out all the light, but it seems they'd filter a good bit... Of couse, depending on the way the slats are angled, it might just send the light straight down toward the dolls...

This is going to sound like a weird question, but do you want (sun)light in your room? If you aren't particularly attached to it, and whoever you live with (if you live with someone) doesn't care, you can cover your window with tinfoil or cardboard. Really blocks the light. You can hang curtains over it to disguise the appearance from the inside, so your room doesn't look like a baked potato. (My room looks like a baked potato, because I've got so much junk the curtains'd just get in the way. ^^')

8. Hi, many thanks for your kind reply :daisy :daisy
      My kind of shutter leaves the room in complete darkness...
      Problem is that, if I don't let the sunlight in, humidity will damage its walls!
      My room is under a roof, and in the northern side of the house, you see...
      Could be a good place to plant mushrooms... :oops:

9. How about getting a dehumidifier?
      Cover the dolls with with a towel or sheet?

10. I just tend to cover my guys' faces with hats/scarves and whatnot. I also try to keep them out of direct sunlight.

11. Small_gecko and Astro, thanks for your kind messages :daisy :daisy

I'd prefer not to cover my doll's faces with towels and so on, since I like to see them whenever I walk into my room :daisy

Anyways, yes, I think I'll have to buy a dehumidifier, sooner or later... :oops:

12. I have had my boy less than a month, and I'm really worried I'm letting him have too much sun. Both my rooms (split parents) are south-facing and fill with sunlight/have indirect sunlight, no dark dark places. Even my shelves which would provide ample shade... are south facing. So, he gets a fair lot of sun then. Plus, I often take him outside, where obviously he picks up even more.

The question is, is it too much? I hate the thought of him packed away in his box all the time. What about a place with indirect sunlight? My dresser is under my bunk bed, hard to explain.. it's also south-looking, through the gap under the bunk, but I have a sheer curtain there and it's not the brightest of places anyway. I also have a sheer curtain on my shelves and that blocks a little sun. But do i need to be more careful? What do other people do?

Thank you very much for reading ~~ I'd be really grateful for some tips or help here. If it's necessary, he's an Angel Fantasy guy.

Kai

13. I think the spot you're describing would be fine- I'm fairly sure it's direct sunlight that's the most dangerous. And plus, it takes a while for any yellowing to really show up. If you're really worried, you could always coat him with UV-cut MSC- I think of it as sort of sunblock for dolls, it's supposed to help protect them. ^.^

14. My room has really low light, so I sometimes let my boy sit out since he wears long sleeves and pants. But I've only taken him outside a couple time to be in direct sunlight. Same with my girl she's only been in direct sunlight once. But I think it'd depend on your doll, Jae has yellowed I didn't even realize how much till I compared him to a newer DOC. I don't notice and its inevitable.

So usually if its not necessary for him to be in direct light I avoid it but I admit he does sit on my computer table from time to time for no good reason, other then I like to have him around.

So more or less I let him out in low light a lot, but sunlight usually only for pictures (well the one time it happened so far XD; I'm terrible and don't photograph him as much as I should).

15. Personally I'm hugely paranoid about yellowing, so even indirect sunlight is too much for me. I tend to keep my guys in shelves on my closet, so when I'm not specifically doing something with them they're protected from any light at all, which is just the way I like it ^^ I don't want to be worrying about them all the time or living in darkness myself, so this way I can enjoy my guys and not have to become a mole-person to accommodate them :lol: Someday I'll have a dedicated dorrie-room where they can sit out all the time and be protected from the light, but for now they're good where they are when I'm not interacting with them ^^

16. I take mine out for for photoshoots and meetups and don't worry all that much about it. When it comes to sitting around the house, I take more precautions since that's when they'd get the most exposure. However, I live in a basement apartment and my living room only has three little high up windows that are easy to cover, and that's what I do. I want my dolls out where I can see and enjoy them (and it's not like I would get much of a view anyway).

If this is a concern for you, you could try getting thicker curtains that would block more light, or something heavier to drape over your dolls.

17. I have really dark curtains so even at the brightest point of the day my room is daaaark. Like you need to turn on a light at 3pm. That's just how I am. I know in some of my other rooms (we've moved a few times since getting my MSD) there was much more sunlight. She did yellow some, but it looks pretty natural really. I take her out a lot, but I recommend finding shade if your doll is going to be sitting outside for awhile. Try to avoid direct sunlight and indirect isn't near as bad. And I know it was mention before but the Mr. Super Clear UV cut should be helpful in protecting them some too. As with anything don't set your doll in the path of direct sunlight or it will change colour. Like leaving a DVD case under a window....soon the picture will fade.

18. I keep my dolls out, but my room (where they live) tends to have no natural light at all. When I go out with them, I only take one or two dolls...and I don't really worry about my dollfie dream though...so she tends to go out more.

19. Dolls don't have to be in direct sunlight to yellow, too much time in a bright room will do the same thing. You probably should cover the doll with a sheet when you're not home/not playing with them. Florescent light may yellow dolls as well (there's some debate about that) so watch out for taking them to convention halls too.

My dolls stay in a north facing room with no direct light. Some of them have been outside a couple of times, mostly I take them to friends houses, a few of them have never left my place.

All dolls will yellow over time, I don't really need to make it happen any faster. :sweat

20. I haven't given any thought at all to yellowing... by this time next year they'll all be lemonheads, I'm sure! I'm not careful at all... in fact, I took mine to work today where he sat under fluorescent lighting all day, then I walked home and carried him in sunny, humid weather. It's not the first time either... and won't be the last. My other two boys hang around my room, usually in view of the window.

Umm... don't be like me. :XD: