1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Volks LA Dolpa SD16 Release- Ruby and Garnet

Sep 15, 2007

1. Maybe its just me, but they're not quite what I was hoping for... something un-Volks looking about them. New sculptor maybe?

The darker skintone is lovely though, it says "pureskin ebony" on her page.

2. I dunno. I feel the same way, I guess. Like...they look almost like a cross between Barbie and Tonner O_o;;

3. That's it! I couldn't quite place "the look," something along the lines of the Dollmore model dolls... overly glamourized. Kinda disappointing, I thought Olivia and Amelia's sculpts were beautiful but I missed out on both. :(

4. Wow! I love that new resin on Ruby! "Pureskin ebony?" Nice! I hope to see it on future dolls. I'd love to see her with a different faceup. The lips are a little bright for me, but then her name is "Ruby," after all. :) I know I won't be able to get one, but I hope to see her in the galleries!

5. Ruby? One's named Ruby? :o That's my name! And she (I think it's a she) looks kind of... odd. Well, different. I'm not sure what it is, but like some one else said, more Barbie-esque. I think it's the large-ish mouth and eyes. I'm not sure I like it yet. The resin color is pretty, though.

6. I think Garnet & Ruby are simply wonderful, yes they seem "made" for the american market, but with that Volks quality and extremely well-designed sculpts.

7. I was so excited when I saw this, I thought it was going to be a new SD16 boy.

I hate them, so barbie-esque. And I usally love all volks molds.

8. To me they have the feel of the little Fashion Royalty dolls from Jason Wu and their neck is a little on the long side.
      But I LOVE them! I especially love Garnet. I wish I could go to this Dolls Party, if I could, I would go just to get this doll. If someone would like to sell their Garnet when getting back please PM me.
      *Liz*

9. They dont look like Volks dolls at all to me anyway which is odd.I am so suprised to see Ruby's resin color wow! I have a Sd16 Olivia and she just looks so different from these two..

10. They dont look like Volks dolls to me either..... I don't really like this particular sculpt. :( I suppose I will have to wait for the next one! <3

11. After seeing them, suddenly I'm not so disappointed that I can't go anymore. Sorry Volks :(

12. I was surprised by my negative reaction when I first saw them but they are beginning to grow on me. I love the SD 16 girl body and Ruby has that unique skintone. I'm betting with a different faceup Ruby could have a more Asian look that would be right for one of my characters.

I think Volks was wise to do the pre-order website for these dolls. There may be plenty of fashion doll collectors who will cross over into bjd land by seeing these girls. Volks is giving them plenty of time to be wooed and then sign up for Dolpa.

I find it puzzling that the Volks SD 16 and 17 boys get such a positive reaction here but the more mature girls are criticized.

13. I hope volks release more Sd17 guy I miss out on the last one. Pls release one next yr and I will have enough money by then to buy one :)

14. Ruby reminds me a bit of IH's Cocori. That's what I thought of when I saw the lips and the general shape of the face...

15. ah... to say the truth, this time i feel disappointed. I adore Volks dolls (wish i can just get one before they sell out ^^") but there is something i don't like about these dolls.

They're beautiful, but to me feel more like fashion dolls than BJDs. I live Amelia, I like Olivia but Roby and Garnet are not my cup of tea.

They seem to have a more 'western' feel in their looks. I guess i prefer the normal volks style in dolls.

16. They look like giant barbie dolls to me.......very Un Volks like.....-_- kinda feeling disappointed now after waiting so long for the pictures to come out....sigh.....

17. I don't like the face and the mouth... it is too much for me !!!!!!!! i don't like Tonner's face too...

18. Gotta agree with everybody else: The first thing I said when I saw them was "Wow, those don't look like Volks dolls." The new skintone is amazing, but the doll looks a lot like IH Cocori to me. Neither of them are particularly attractive--they look like oversized Barbies. Incidentally, I've never thought Model Dolls did. Odd.

19. I'm surprised at how few people like them. I think Ruby has so much potential with a different faceup. I just don't have the funds for another girl.

I have to say, I don't see the resemblance to Cocori. The face shape is very different, and Ruby's lips look more like Dollmore Model lips to me.

Oh well, to each their own. I'm usually not into Volks, except for Williams...wonderful, beautiful Williams...:D

Maybe that's part of the issue here though. These girls look different from other Volks dolls, so collectors who haven't been interested in the company (like myself) might now be?