1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJD Orbyrarium Discussion Thread

Apr 25, 2006

1. From what I remember, it wasn't so much 'biased' as the photographers just happened to have Volks dolls... I haven't looked at mine for a while, but I remember at least one gorgeous Unoa (? I can never get the U-girls right :doh ).

I would say the book is worth it for some of the beautiful pics, patterns and tutorials. I read it once, and plan on using the faceup tute when I figure my airbrush out, one of the gorgeous patterns, and the pic of the gorgeous corset as a base-idea for an outfit I will prolly comission one of these days! That's what stands out in my mind :)

2. There WAS a gorgeous Unoa!!! I love that pic (if you get it its the one with the light brown pigtails/ponytails) As a total newcomer I have found it worth its weight in gold, gives step by step instruction on how paint a faceup, pastel a body (and working the two articles together, how to pastel a face) Some gorgeous pix of dolls which if nothing else give you close ups on how people do lips/eyelashes/blushing. Some great info in general and a particularly good restringing article, now I have never done that, it was Luts based so I have no idea how they compare stringing wise with other make dolls but it is sure better then nothing at all. Think it's got a wig pattern and clothing pattern along with step by step instruction of how to make a denim skirt. All in all if you are a total newcomer its essential, if you have other bJD's then maybe not so, if you are used to doing other doll faceups then its still got some new techniques I think. I wouldnt be without mine and I trawl thru it for info a lot, and religeously followed instruction on faceups for my first and only attempt.

3. I highly reccomend it! It's a good read.

The only issue I have is the Fancyboots pattern. I'm a novice seamstress, and I really did not find the directions helpful.

4. There's a surprising lack of CP El in the book!:lol: I don't think there's a single CP male in the whole thing! If anything, the book seems very Unoa heavy.

But there's pictures of the Liebchen, a large number of Hypermaniac dolls, some Custom House dolls, Dollshes, Unoas, DoDs, CPs, Souldolls, Elfdolls, and a Kawainino as well as Volks dolls. There's also a picture of a doll from each company listed in the A-Z guide.

It may seem Volks heavy in some areas, like in the interviews with Mikey and Kyon (because they both work for Volks), or with the Satoko Ono faceup tutorial (because she mostly works on Volks dolls). It sure makes sense that the people who wrote the demo articles used their own dolls and that they didn't run out and buy new dolls for the sake of representation for a book. I'm sure they didn't know which dolls all the other contributors were going to feature. If there is a future publication, the editors should try to feature dolls in a way that better reflects the collections of more of their readers.

5. I think it is definitely worth the money. Wonderful tutorials, all very different that they will appeal to different audiences.

After reading it cover to cover, I still pick it up to gaze at the pictures every month or so.

6. ahh, ok thanks then! I might buy it in the future, hopefully they wont sell out or anything!

7. It is a gorgeous book!!! A wonderful and possibly even overwheling :aheartbea place to begin for a newcomer! It's just so packed with photos and information and tutorials.

Of course, being a devout Dollshe fanatic, the AnuStyle interview and accompanying photographs is one of my personal favourite articles!

A very worthwhile purchase!

8. Ah Chirai, you asked the question that was on my mind as well! ^^ I had been thinking about buying the Orbyararium book but wanted to know what others thought of it. Now it looks like I need to pick up a copy too!

9. I thought it was worth it :) The patterns were appealing and the face up tutorials were a nice bonus, I would have liked to see a wider range of dolls in it, but hey, you can only use what you have eh :)

10. I loved it. I keep it next to all my doll things. I have to say when my girl gets here I am going to try the blushing tutorial. ANd there were some clothing patterns. All the dolls pictured were breath taking. And the interviews were ingaging.

HTH

Nicole :)

11. Does anybody know where you can purchase it in Europe or Germany ? I would love to read it but in the end the custom-charges cost more than the book. -_-

12. Ah I was wondering about this book too. Is Notdoll featured in the book as well?

13. in the UK, books are exempt from VAT, and mine came through no problem (used to get huge boxes of manga shipped over from Japan with no charges aswell), many be it is the same in Germany?

I got mine from:

and the seller (if I can remember ok) said it would be shipped from France - but when it arrived there was no post mark on the envelope - very mysterious ^_-

14. For me it wasn't particularly useful because it was mostly stuff that I've known for a while. It was definately enjoyable, though and does have some wonderful tutorials (my favorite being the wall blocks).

It is, sadly, riddled with mistakes, so you have to take the information given with a grain of salt. Small things like the wrong doll used to represent a company in the beginning of the book, for example: An Unoa used to represent Angelregion. Of course, if you get the book and find something questionable, you can always ask here and someone can set everything straight.

Despite the little mistakes here and there, it really is a good resource for newcomers and for those that want to know more (And that wall blocks tutorial. That's such a great idea.).

15. thanks everyone for this thread! I had been wondering whether I should get one or not. I just ordered - yay! :)

16. Wow! Thank you all so much for the input! I'm happy to see that many people already own it, and can say some good things about it. :)

And I will do my best to keep an eye out for questions on possible mistakes in the book. I love getting heads up like this! I'll definitely be ordering it this weekend~

17. hey it helped me finaly decided to get a unoa thats good enough for me
      if they make anthor one the should edit more carfuly :|

18. Some of the information about where to buy the dolls isn't accurate anymore, but there are some helpful tutorials and things--lots of great stuff to read! It is also really great if you need a bit of a visual fix, too! :D

19. I've been going back and forth on ordering one for awhile...
      The tutorials sounds interesting and useful
      Thanks for posting this thread, it's been helpful to me.

20. where can I get one of these?